none
Event ID:8230 VSS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

SBS 2011 Premium Server.

I am getting the VSS 8230 error on a daily basis. I followed the article on the MS website that details creating a new security group and editing the registry, did this and the events stopped....for 24 hours! When I go back in to the registry it has recreated the spfarm account so the error returns.

Does anyone know or could point me towards a permanent fix for this? I understand it doesn't really have any negative effect but I don't like looking at the event logs and seeing errors or warnings as I don't want any genuine issues being lost or masked by ones deemed non harmful.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Event ID 8230 is an Warning, instead of Error. The warning occurs because the Sharepoint VSS writer and search services run under the context of a domain user account.

As KB 2483007 mentioned that you can ignore this warning. As warnings don't affect the operation of VSS:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2483007

Have you enabled/configured SharePoint services on SBS server? 

If not, you may try to remove the account from the following registry entry and restart the server to check the result:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\VssAccessControl

Note: remember to back up the registry before any change.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:26 AM