This operation can be performed only on a computer that is joined to a server farm by users who have permissions in SQL Server to read from the configuration database. To connect this server to the server farm, use the SharePoint Products Configuration Wi RRS feed

• Question

• Today I tried to open my site which is in SharePoint 2013 and I got this message

"This operation can be performed only on a computer that is joined to a server farm by users who have permissions in SQL Server to read from the configuration database. To connect this server to the server farm, use the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard, located on the Start menu in Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products".

So I research on net and found that I have to give permission in SQL server which was given to all users.

-Amar Trivedi

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:19 AM

Answers

• You do not have to give permission in SQL to all of your users. This error occurs whe the SharePoint farm administrator cannot connect to your configuration database. make sure that from the SharePoint front end and application servers that you can ping your SQL server. make sure that your Farm account has permission to the configuration database. Lastly verify that your database didn't for some reason go into recovery mode. once everything is fine and you are still having issues, restart the SQL host service on the SQL server. Once the service is restarted you will need to reboot Central Admin and then your front end servers.
    • Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Friday, March 15, 2013 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:01 AM

All replies

• You do not have to give permission in SQL to all of your users. This error occurs whe the SharePoint farm administrator cannot connect to your configuration database. make sure that from the SharePoint front end and application servers that you can ping your SQL server. make sure that your Farm account has permission to the configuration database. Lastly verify that your database didn't for some reason go into recovery mode. once everything is fine and you are still having issues, restart the SQL host service on the SQL server. Once the service is restarted you will need to reboot Central Admin and then your front end servers.
    • Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Friday, March 15, 2013 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:01 AM
  • I created my SharePoint farm against a certain database instance.  Some untrained monkey in the last 4 months has, unbeknownst to me, changed the database instance where my content, search, config, and all the other databases are located.  Or maybe they just changed the server name.  I'm not sure. 

My question is this; if I can't open Central Administration and if the Technologies and Configuration Wizard throws an error, where can I look up the database instance where SharePoint was last running?  It must be in some kind of configuration file somewhere right?

Where?

Thanks, Ned

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:30 PM
  • Go to Services.msc --> Start the service "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)"
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:19 AM
  • If you got the error message all of a sudden when you have no idea why - THIS IS THE ANSWER!

I opened SQL Server and then closed it right away - it tripped over itself and must had stopped it's service.

THIS was the solution to my problem :)

Sunday, April 10, 2016 11:35 PM
  • I got this problem too. 

In my case the problem was that the account that was running the application pool was expired. 

I rebooted these two servers and got ... error 503 service unavailable 

I tried to manually restart the application pool, but no go ... then finally I realize that the account might have expired. 

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:58 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. I have a SharePoint Server and a Front End Server. there's an alternate access mapping setup. I can access the link in this format <http://<sharepoint server name>:8080/pwa but not with the link in this format <https://<front end server name>:8081/pwa. in the front end server the bindings are http: 8080 and https: 8081. i can ping all the servers from each other.

Sorry if my explanation is not clear, please let me know what info you need.

Thank you so much in advance.

Thanks, aproclou

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:49 AM
  • How can I check if the database was in recovery mode? 

I cannot find SQL host service on the SQL server. Can you help me locate the path?

Monday, May 7, 2018 11:38 AM
  • This issue usually occurs in case of the SharePoint can’t connect to the SQL Server for the following reasons:

• The SQL Server is down.
      • The SQL Server Services are stopped.
      • The Database server is not reachable from the Application server (Firewall Issue / SQL Server Port is closed).
      • The Database server is not reachable from the Application server (Firewall Issue / SQL Server Port is closed). The SQL Server license has expired.
      • The SQL Server Service account credentials were changed. The App Pool account for web application is locked or disabled.
      • The farm account is locked or disabled.
      • The farm account password is expired.
      • The farm account doesn’t have Allow Logon locally.
      • doesn’t have sufficient permission on the database server, configuration database, and content databases.

Check the detail steps for each root cause at This operation can be performed only on a computer that is joined to a server farm by users who have permissions in SQL Server to read from the configuration database

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:58 PM
  • Hi

farm have 2 servers:  Apps and FE server

CA setup to host on Apps server.

I have tried and verify several recommendations

check farm account permission against SQL server:  done

Restarted SQL services: done

IIS reset / restarted servers / check Application Pool and startup account :  All goods

rerun  SharePoint Configuration : done , successful

Still Central Administration site not come up and show the same error  (customErrors = Off)

finally, this is what I did

On Apps server, Run Config wizard to remove host CA site

On FE1  server,  Run Config wizard to and select to host CA site

Now CA came up on FE1 just fine.

still can't figure out what really the problem was?

Thanks

Swanl

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:08 PM