Vista Scan Disk fixed drive errors , drive is no longer accessable RRS feed

• Question

• I have a USD 500GB drive. I use it with Windows XP. I plugged it into a Vista laptop. I kept geting a drive error, Let Vista fix drive error. I kept hitting cancel and the drive worked fine and I transferred some files. The next time it did it, I said OK let Vista fix drive errors. Now the drive is not accessable on Vista or XP.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 11:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally speaking, disk related issues are complicated to troubleshoot. In some cases, it is needed to use hardware based devices or some specific applications to fix the disk problem.

Before moving on, please let me know whether you have important data on this USB drive. If yes, it is highly recommended that you contact some data recovery companies to revert the data.

If not, we can try to troubleshoot this issue as follows:

First, let’s check whether drive can be recognized in WinRE.

1. Plug the hard drive into the Laptop, insert the Vista installation DVD to the computer

2. Reboot the computer and press any key when you are prompted to start from the disc

3. Choose your language settings and click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System Recovery Options

6. Click on Command Prompt.

Can you access the hard drive now? If so, please backup your files in Command Prompt.

If you do not familiar with Command Prompt, please reference the commands: “copy”, ”mkdir” and ”chdir”.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cmd.mspx?mfr=true

Then, let’s try to check the hard disk in Command Prompt.

chkdsk TheDriveLetter: /r

Please use the driver letter you see do this. For example, the hard drive letter is D, the command is:

Chkdsk D: /r

After repairing it, try to restart the computer to Windows Vista and test this issue again.

On the other hand, if the computer cannot access the hard drive in Command Prompt, please let me know.

Additional suggestions:

1. Check whether other USB based storage devices can be recognized on this Windows Vista computer.

2. Check whether this USB drive can be used on other computers.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally speaking, disk related issues are complicated to troubleshoot. In some cases, it is needed to use hardware based devices or some specific applications to fix the disk problem.

Before moving on, please let me know whether you have important data on this USB drive. If yes, it is highly recommended that you contact some data recovery companies to revert the data.

If not, we can try to troubleshoot this issue as follows:

First, let’s check whether drive can be recognized in WinRE.

1. Plug the hard drive into the Laptop, insert the Vista installation DVD to the computer

2. Reboot the computer and press any key when you are prompted to start from the disc

3. Choose your language settings and click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System Recovery Options

6. Click on Command Prompt.

Can you access the hard drive now? If so, please backup your files in Command Prompt.

If you do not familiar with Command Prompt, please reference the commands: “copy”, ”mkdir” and ”chdir”.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cmd.mspx?mfr=true

Then, let’s try to check the hard disk in Command Prompt.

chkdsk TheDriveLetter: /r

Please use the driver letter you see do this. For example, the hard drive letter is D, the command is:

Chkdsk D: /r

After repairing it, try to restart the computer to Windows Vista and test this issue again.

On the other hand, if the computer cannot access the hard drive in Command Prompt, please let me know.

Additional suggestions:

1. Check whether other USB based storage devices can be recognized on this Windows Vista computer.

2. Check whether this USB drive can be used on other computers.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:29 AM
  • Thanks, it is working now !

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:33 PM