none
How to draw or set a simple line on gantt view - seriously! RRS feed

• Question

• In my project I have one very important date (marked as a milestone). I want to set a line on gantt view (just like a line showing current date) to see graphically how other tasks are fitting to it. Drawing a line with drawing options isn't enought because it has lenght limit. Last 2 hours I spend searching forums and googling with no satisfying  result (and im my country it's 4:30 AM now!). Please help.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Forson,

You can use the Progress line based on that Milestone Date to show how other tasks fall in place. Right Click on Gantt Chart -> Progress Lines -> Selected Progress Line -> there in drop-down you can select the Milestone Date. It will be a zig-zag line though not a straight one.

Other option is you can change the Status Date to that important Milestone and then display Status Line, you can select "Date Display" on the line. As for getting a straight line there is no other option as I m aware of other then drawing which you have already tried.

Sapna S

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:34 AM

All replies

• Alert Me,

First, Project is not a drawing program. It is a program that computes and displays project-related data. 

I'm not sure what you are trying to do and what you mean by "see graphically how other tasks are fitting to it." If by that you want to show the predecessors links that lead into the milestone task, there are a number of ways to turn those on. The easiest is perhaps to right mouse click on the Gantt Chart, pick "Layout", and then pick the type of Links you want to show (top of the dialog box).

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:36 AM
  • Hi Forson,

You can use the Progress line based on that Milestone Date to show how other tasks fall in place. Right Click on Gantt Chart -> Progress Lines -> Selected Progress Line -> there in drop-down you can select the Milestone Date. It will be a zig-zag line though not a straight one.

Other option is you can change the Status Date to that important Milestone and then display Status Line, you can select "Date Display" on the line. As for getting a straight line there is no other option as I m aware of other then drawing which you have already tried.

Sapna S

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:34 AM