none
MDT 2012 Static IP for Offline Install

Question

• Hello

The topic title might seem a bit head scratching but hear me out. I'm attempting to create an offline MDT deployment solution for my branch offices that have less than stellar bandwidth. I've created the offline media, booted to it, and the image installs without issue. However, even though I use the option to "Configure with Static IP Address" prior to pushing the image, the IP Address I specify doesn't seem to stick.

Clicking this option when doing an online install, however, does yield the results I'm out for.

Basically, I'm trying to cut out the need to connect back to my MDT server for some of my branch offices to decrease the time it would take to push the image to these offices. I figure instead of connecting back to my server, just have it pull all of the information it needs from a USB stick and do everything else the same. Am I making sense and can this be a realistic option?

Other than this small blip, my offline install works without issue. Except for when it attempts to join the computer back to the domain and install patches for obvious reasons. Any thoughts?

Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:46 PM

Answers

• Yup, it looks like Litetouch.wsf is designed to skip ZTINicConfig.wsf if running from a Media, rather than from a UNC share.

Either you can add ZTINicConfig.wsf as a step during State Restore, or move the ZTINicConfig.wsf code outside the Deployment Method test.

From this:

'//----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    		'//  Find the "real" DeployRoot

If oEnvironment.Item("DeploymentMethod") = "UNC" then

'//
    			'//  If there were any "saved" network settings. Restore them now.
    			'//
    			If isNumeric(oEnvironment.Item("OSDAdapterCount")) then

If Cint(oEnvironment.Item("OSDAdapterCount")) > 0 then

sCmd = "wscript.exe """ & oUtility.ScriptDir & "\ZTINicConfig.wsf"" /RestoreWithinWinPE"
    					iRetVal = RunAndLog(sCmd, true)
    					TestAndLog iRetVal,"Excution: " & sCmd

End if

End if

' Set the DeployRoot based on where we were started from

If oEnvironment.Item("DeployRoot") = "" then

oEnvironment.Item("DeployRoot") = oFSO.GetParentFolderName(oUtility.ScriptDir)

End if

ValidateDeployRootWithRecovery

End if

to this:

'//
    		'//

sCmd = "wscript.exe """ & oUtility.ScriptDir & "\ZTINicConfig.wsf"" /RestoreWithinWinPE"

End if

End if

End if

End if

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, July 21, 2014 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi E tros,

See this post, think can help this question.

http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/mdt-automating-static-ip-during-bare-metal-boot/

Hug

Eduardo Sena | Microsoft Certified Professional | Embaixador Windows 8 | MVP Windows-Expert IT Pro | eduardosena@hotmail.com.br Blog - www.eduardosena.com.br

Friday, July 18, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Also if you go the unattend.xml route make sure you place it in your Control folder-->Task sequence number. MDT places ITS OWN unattend in that directory. You will need to make sure you place the one with the static IP configuration in there...
    Friday, July 18, 2014 3:25 PM
  • NO idea, Offline Media with Static IP address should work.

How are you setting the static IP addresses? in the cs.ini file?

If you have more questions, please upload your bdd.log (and/or smsts.log) file to a public site like OneDrive and copy the link here.

Friday, July 18, 2014 11:50 PM
  • Actually, I have a task sequence that goes out and captures the static IP information for me and I use the switch to "restore within winpe" and this works well for a refresh. When I use boot media for an online bare metal install, I specify the IP address by clicking the option "Configure with Static IP Address" prior to pushing the image. So my thoughts were whenever I created the offline media that the "Configure with Static IP Address" option should still work but for some reason it's not passing it over to Windows. I get no errors when filling out the information so it almost seems like whatever information gets accepted for the WinPE environment gets "forgotten" it once Windows boots for the offline install.
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Yea, that should still work, your BDD.log and/or SMSTS.log file should help diagnose why this is not working.

Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:35 AM
  • You will find below the links to the BDD.log and SMSTS.log from my most recent Offline install. It once again did not carry what I specified as a static IP to Windows. Thank you in advance for looking through this.

BDD.log - https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=78A334E2B1B48F55&id=78A334E2B1B48F55%21846

SMSTS.log - https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=78A334E2B1B48F55&id=78A334E2B1B48F55%21845

Monday, July 21, 2014 3:48 PM
  • Yup, it looks like Litetouch.wsf is designed to skip ZTINicConfig.wsf if running from a Media, rather than from a UNC share.

Either you can add ZTINicConfig.wsf as a step during State Restore, or move the ZTINicConfig.wsf code outside the Deployment Method test.

From this:

'//
    			'//

End if

End if

End if

End if

to this:

'//
    		'//

End if

End if

End if

End if

Monday, July 21, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Yes! Thank you Keith! By updating the code in the LiteTouch.wsf file with what you provided, the static IP Address that I specified before the image pushed did in fact get pulled into Windows! I now have a fully functioning offline MDT solution I can use without issue!

Thanks again for your help!

Monday, July 21, 2014 8:54 PM