Cannot get Windows Experience Index rating... RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried cleaning the DataStore directory as well as hunting for *.prf files but to no avail.. I simple cannot seem to get my system to refresh the Windows Experience score.

The problem I'm getting is in the media encode portion of the test.  I can play the wmv files in media player but WinSAT ran manually with options shows:
    Disabling file sink.
    Loading input file "C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\winsatencode.wmv".
    FAIL: mediautils.cpp @ 592: 0x80040241 == VFW_E_CANNOT_LOAD_SOURCE_FILTER
          (The source filter for this file could not be loaded.)
    FAIL: mediatest.cpp @ 490: 0x80040241 == VFW_E_CANNOT_LOAD_SOURCE_FILTER
          (The source filter for this file could not be loaded.)
    Error: WinSAT failed to connect the input file to the WMV encoder.

Does anyone know how to fix this?  Or is there anyone at Microsoft that can look at the above source files or publish that section so as self-diagnosis may transpire?

Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:24 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Steve, based on the error message, I suggest you first try the solutions in the following KB article:

Windows Media Player Invalid File Format Error Message

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234019&Product=wmp

Let's see if this resolves the issue. As the issue can be related to codec, you can also download some free third party codec to check the result.

Friday, September 26, 2008 7:38 AM
  •  

Hi Sean and thank you for the suggestion!

I do believe you are on the right track as this seems to be some filter issue but only when using the Media player API as WinSAT does.   I'm betting a re-install of Media Player/WMV codecs would likely solve the problem.

At your link, Method 3 is as far as I can go as my version of Vista (Home Premium) already has Media Player 11.  Downloading and trying to re-install the player does not work as it errors immediately with "There is a more recent version of Windows Media Player (11.0.6001.7000) already installed on your computer. ....."

Unfortunately, Media Player 11 isn't a Windows feature either as I have tried multiple times to find a place where it may be uninstalled or re-installed to no avail.... Sad

I should also mention that the two files in the WinSAT directory play fine in Media Player 11.  They are both sort/fast but they do play fine if I launch them in Media Player 11 manually.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:39 AM
  •  

Thank you for the update, Steve. I suggest you download and install free third party codec and check the result this time:

Media Player Codec Pack 3.2

http://www.download.com/Media-Player-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10749065.html

FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2008-09-27

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm

Please Note: The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.

Let's try the above two codec packs one by one and see if that resolves the issue.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 5:51 AM
  •  

Hi Sean,

The CODEC packs above did not solve the problem.   I have tried to install and uninstall them multiple times but WinSAT Continues to not function and I cannot get a Windows Experience rating.

Is there anyone from Microsoft that can reference the sourcecode lines in the error messages that might yield what filters are having the problem?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:52 PM