none
SharePoint Online - Is it possible to use DNS CNAME (Alias) records to point to your SharePoint Online tenant? Or how else can you mask the sharepoint.com URL from the users?

Question

• Is it possible to create a DNS CNAME (Alias) record and point it to an SharePoint Online URL (via Office 365, not a stand alone product)? Or must you still do a web server style redirect (HTTP 301 for example) from some a web server or other device to get this functionality? What I am hoping for is I would like intranet.companyname.com to go to companyname.sharepoint.com URL without showing the user the ugly companyname.sharepoint.com URL, is that possible? If so, how would one go about doing that technically?
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:41 PM

Answers

• You can do a redirect that will send users to the right place, but that won't mask the companyname.sharepoint.com url after they get there. I'm not aware of any way to mask that other than to force everyone through a Proxy server that translates the URL.  I had one client consider doing that, but we talked them out of it based on the performance degradation that forcing all cloud calls to go through an on-premises proxy server would add.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Shawesome Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:50 PM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:03 PM

All replies

• You can do a redirect that will send users to the right place, but that won't mask the companyname.sharepoint.com url after they get there. I'm not aware of any way to mask that other than to force everyone through a Proxy server that translates the URL.  I had one client consider doing that, but we talked them out of it based on the performance degradation that forcing all cloud calls to go through an on-premises proxy server would add.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Shawesome Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:50 PM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:03 PM
  • Thanks Paul, so basically have them hit a web server or other device that can then forward them over to the correct SharePoint Online URL. Bummer news, but I guess if that is the only option, I am stuck with it.
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:50 PM