Vista Repair Install? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a machine that get's 90% through the booting of Vista x32 Ultimate and then BSOD's.  The machine then restarts so fast I can see the error.  Repair from the DVD won't fix the problem.  It references bad files.  Using a restore point is not an option.  Can Vista do a repair install like XP did? 

I know that Vista installed is now image based, but this is insane.  What is the new procedure to fix Vista.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 1:35 PM

All replies

• Try pressing F8 during boot (right after BIOS Post) to see what options there are?

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:02 PM
  • Booting the machine in safe mode doesn't help either.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode with VGA Mode (640x480)?

Try a different graphics card?

Saturday, August 18, 2007 11:14 PM
  • I too am having problems in this field - on startup I get an error message saying "Missing operating system"

This was caused by my attempting to dual boot Vista with XP, and I am aware that all I should have to do is run the Vista Startup Repair, boot into Vista, then create an entry for XP in EasyBCD.

However the startup repair isn't detecting any problems and I cannot boot into anything besides my Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

Why didn't MS include a repair function in Vista similar to XP and Win2K - this feature would be used hundreds of times per day around the world due to booting problems.

More importantly - how can I get back into Vista without having to format my partition?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:14 PM
  • I'm having the EXACT same problem.  Installing Vista Home Basic works for me but its not what I want on my machine .

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 11:59 PM
  • If you have a Vista DVD you can perform a repair install. To perform a repair install insert the DVD, start the installation, enter the product key when prompted. The installer should then recognize the prior Vista installation. Select the original Vista installation, then select Upgrade. Selecting Upgrade performs a repair installation.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 4:01 AM
  • That didn't work for me, but after spending quite a bit of time calling tech support, they told me to take out the hard drive of my laptop and put it back in and oddly enough... it worked.  Everything works fine now!

-jo

Thursday, September 6, 2007 4:49 AM
  • I had a similar problem when I upgraded from XP to Vista.

Press F8 and then you will get an option that states do not automatically reboot.

By selcting this option, when your system reboots it will stop at the error message.

I found out mine was because I had not completely uninstalled Zonealarm firewall in XP, just disabled it.  The error message can be searched through google.

The way round this was to restore back to XP, you get the option when it reboots (but you have to be quick to select it).

When you restore back to XP, uninstall Zonelarm and any Antivirus.

Then when I tried the upgrade again, it went through without BSOD.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 8:46 AM

• hi guys
    i think I too have just the same problem
    i didn't want vista home so i had a vista ultimate
    but:
    after installing media direct first, then proceeding with the vista installation
    upon the "Completing Installation" state, perhaps about 80 or 90%, the system restarts and shows the Blue Screen Of Death
    i think I tried 10 times already, even tried to disable certain devices at BIOS, but still i'm getting same results
    bottom line, i cant install vista ultimate on my 1420

please help, anyone

Sunday, September 9, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Please see my above post

That didn't work for me, but after spending quite a bit of time calling tech support, they told me to take out the hard drive of my laptop and put it back in and oddly enough... it worked.  Everything works fine now!

-jo

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:38 PM
  • How can I accomplish this with an upgrade DVD.  When I try to boot from it I am told I can only use the DVD from within a valid previous version of Windows.  My problem is I wish to upgrade my motherboard so I can use more memory.  Before I replaced my MB I tied to do a repair on my current system.  How do I get to a repair function after I replace the MB.  Thank you ever so much for any assistance you can provide.

Tom

Friday, October 12, 2007 5:26 AM