SCOM and scom monitored servers are migrated from abc to xyz domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a question to ask related to SCOM 2007 SP1. We have a scom server in abc domain and it monitors the servers in abc domain and dmz. Now, there is a proposal to move all the servers from abc to xyz domain which includes scom server.

Can you please advise, what is the impact here. ?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:45 AM

Answers

• I have heard instances where people tried to move scom servers (RMS or MS or SQL or all of them) to another domain and broke it. Lot of rights involved on services, computer accounts, runas accounts and in sql and you name it. Even more if you move them otuside of the kerberos realm of a forest. Would go for a re-install and move management packs to the other domain. Or leave them where they are (unless you really need to remove the abc domain of course).
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, October 7, 2011 3:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:42 AM
  • Moving RMS role is not supported to another domain. FQDN is the factor where RMS is dependent on and changes in it will break.

Regards

Chandan

============================================================ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:22 PM
  •  

Hi,

I also think you may need to build a new management group in the new domain.

In addition, please refer to the information in the following thread:

Moving SCOM 2007 and MOM 2005 to different domain

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/11a4c5ff-bc35-4fca-882a-bbf11bfaa94d/

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:15 AM

All replies

• I have heard instances where people tried to move scom servers (RMS or MS or SQL or all of them) to another domain and broke it. Lot of rights involved on services, computer accounts, runas accounts and in sql and you name it. Even more if you move them otuside of the kerberos realm of a forest. Would go for a re-install and move management packs to the other domain. Or leave them where they are (unless you really need to remove the abc domain of course).
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:42 AM
  • Moving RMS role is not supported to another domain. FQDN is the factor where RMS is dependent on and changes in it will break.

Regards

Chandan

============================================================ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:22 PM
  •  

Hi,

I also think you may need to build a new management group in the new domain.

In addition, please refer to the information in the following thread:

Moving SCOM 2007 and MOM 2005 to different domain

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/11a4c5ff-bc35-4fca-882a-bbf11bfaa94d/

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:15 AM