Outlook Web Access Does Not Work after 12/14/2011 Updates Installed RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and Exchange Server 2003.  After the periodic updates were installed last night users from outside the network cannot access the Outlook Web Access site.  When they put in their user name and password (e.g., doug.pruiett, password) the login prompt comes back having added mail.goodnewsjail.org\ in front of the user name.  All attempts to login are rejected ending finally in:

Error: Access denied.

Does anyone have an idea of what problem was introduced by the 12/14/2011 updates and how to remedy them?

The Security Updates for Windows 2003 below were installed on December 14.  They are all related to a security issue that would allow a remote or local authenticated user to exploit the system.  The Outlook Web Access site logs ins people with AD accounts on the server and they show up as"Authenticated Users."  I therefore have a suspicion that these security updates are what caused the problem today:

KB2633171
    KB2624667
    KB2621146
    KB2620712
    KB2621146
    KB2639417

HELP!

Doug Pruiett, Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:46 PM

Answers

• Sukh:

I am really sorry for going on this wild goose chase.  The user who reported the problem was using the wrong password.  When I changed it to what he said it was, then it worked.  My other confusing factor was that I tested internet access to the OWA while logged on the server on which OWA runs.  I find that I am not able to get any OWA logins to work that way.  Otherwise, at present it appears to work inside and outside except on the server.  Can you suggest why when accessing the OWA via IE9 on the server on which OWA is hosted that I cannot login?

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org
    • Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Friday, December 16, 2011 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:19 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:47 PM

All replies

• What if they try and login using mail.goodnewsjail.org\doug.pruiett
    Sukh
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:22 PM
  • They cannot login no matter which login they use:

bob.jones

goodnewsjail\bob.jones

mail.goodnewsjail.org\bob.jones

I do see an interesting phenomenon that some users can login like administrator and doug.pruiett (an administrator account), although even these demonstarted the same problem for a while. I can also logon users in one user group, but not users in another user group. Prior to today everyone was working fine for years.  I have mode no other changes to the system.

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:37 PM
  • When you attempt to login with a problem user, what do you see in the IIS Logs?
    Sukh
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:45 PM
  • How do I look at the IIS logs?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:59 PM
  • I really appreciate you helping me here.  The link you give is for smtp logging and Exchange Server logging, not IIS logging.  By the way, I have IIS 6.0.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Sorry my mistake, basically go to IIS and enable in the default webite.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324279

Sukh
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:08 PM
  • The log seems to show records for successful logins. The ones that fail have no entry.  I really need to find out why they are being rejected.  Any ideas where else to look?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:20 PM
  • what if they try and access OWA internally, does that work?
    Sukh
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:22 PM
  • I just tried it with my personal administrator account (not "administrator") and I could not get logged in.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Using the same account externally gives you the SAME error?

As a test can you create a test account and test both internally and externally?

Sukh
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Sukh:

I am really sorry for going on this wild goose chase.  The user who reported the problem was using the wrong password.  When I changed it to what he said it was, then it worked.  My other confusing factor was that I tested internet access to the OWA while logged on the server on which OWA runs.  I find that I am not able to get any OWA logins to work that way.  Otherwise, at present it appears to work inside and outside except on the server.  Can you suggest why when accessing the OWA via IE9 on the server on which OWA is hosted that I cannot login?

• Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Friday, December 16, 2011 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:19 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:47 PM
  • seemed abit strange as you said it works for some users in a group and not other, hence why I wanted to test using a test mailbox to see if it's a server issue or mailbox issue.

Good to know OWA is working

As for why you can't access OWA on Exchange itself, what error do you get?

Are you using HTTPS?

What URL to do put in the IE page?

Have you tried https://localhost/exchange

Sukh
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Whether I use mail.goodnewsjail.org or https://mail.goodnewsjail.org or http://mail.goodnewsjail.org, I get the same result.  It rejects the login.

When I use httsp://gnserver/exchange, I first get the page:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

But I can continue on to the site.  I do not get a login prompt, but it logs me into the last account used.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Clear the IE tmep files and test again

If you go into IIS and click browse on on the default web site where does that take you?

Sukh
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:51 AM