Exchange services disabled after WSUS updates RRS feed

• Question

• Last night WSUS on my test system at home installed the August patches on SBS2008 with Exchange 2007, and this morning Outlook 2010 on Win7 could not connect to Exchange. I finally found in the services console that ALL the Exchange services had been changed to "Disabled" startup type. One of the updates that was installed was Update Rollup 6 for Exchange, (which failed on the first pass, and succeeded on the second) and I found a thread where Update Rollup 4 had caused the same thing, and the solution seems to have been to reset the startup type on al the services back to "Automatic.) But I know not all of the services had been Automatic before, and I would rather get them back to where thay were. I have a listing of which services are running on a similar system at work, and could use that as a starting point, but I wonder if rerunning the Internet Connection Wizard would fix that. In the past it has usually been recommended to let the SBS wizards do the work.

By the way, this was the first time WSUS had offered the Update rollups for Exchange, and all of a sudden this month it offered Update Rollup 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 all at once. I only installed UR 6 on th eassumption that the rollup would include the previous rollups.

Any suggestions on the safest way to fix it, and keep it from happening again?

Thanks,

Dave

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Last night's updates included an Exchange security update.  Any Exchange
    update turns the Exchange services to disabled during the updating
    process.  It can, at times, hiccup right at the end and not remember to
    turn them back on.  Other than to watch the state of the services after
    reboot, there's not much else you can do.  Exchange turns these services
    to disabled during the install and then is supposed to turn them back on.

Manually change the state of the services to automatic and restart them.
    Use that as your guide.

What service pack are you on?

As you should have Service pack 3 and update rollup 8 should have been
    offered up, not 6.

• Marked as answer by dclaxon Friday, August 17, 2012 2:35 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Susan,

Thanks. That blog post seems to only cover SBS 2011, and I searched and couldn't find an SBS 2008 equivalant so I just used the list I had from the server at work, and that seems to have done the job.

As for the service pack, the only thing I could find from the Exchange Management Console was that it was Exchange 2007 v 08.01.0436.000, but I ran the SBS BPA and it complained that Exchange was at SP1, so I guess that answers that. (And I thought that was why I was using WSUS, to find the SPs and updates.) I guess that tells me my next step.

The BPA also found several other services besides the Exchange services that were disabled that shouldn't have been.

At any rate, it seems to be working for now, and Outlook is talking to Exchange.

Thanks,

Dave

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to know the issue got fixed in the end. I don't recommend WSUS to dispatch the updates for Exchange server especially the Service Pack.

Towards the Exchange server 2007 SP3, Microsoft has publised a KB article about the installation of the it:

Title: How to install Exchange Server 2007 SP3 on a computer that is running Windows SBS 2008

URL: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982423

So I think it might be a little be different to install the Exchange server Service Pack on a pure Exchange server.

Towards the cluster senarios, WSUS dispatch updates is not a good choice. It will broke the connection among the high availability function. So I suggest that you'd better install the Service Pack or roll up updates for Exchange server manually will be better.

As we know, email system plays a vital part in business impact.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:48 AM
  • As a fyi Exchange service packs don't come down on MU or WSUS.  They are manually installed.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:23 AM
  • As a fyi Exchange service packs don't come down on MU or WSUS.  They are manually installed.

I'm sorry, my fault. Thanks for your clarification, Susan~ :-)

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:29 AM
  • I have this issue with SBS2008. Windows downloaded SP3 and attempted to install it without any user intervention at 09:06 today. The last reboot for Windows updates was 12 Ocotber. All Exchange services were stopped and disabled, the installtion failed and services were left disabled.

So, Susan, I'm sorry but it appears that SP3 does come down via WSUS!

The other thing that occurred was that many other services not related to Exchange were stopped and disabled. These included DHCP, routing and remote access, terminal services gateway and so on.

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:43 AM
  • By default SBS servers should not be set to install updates automatically and then reboot - AFAIK by default they are not set to do so. This is so that updates can be installed manually at a quiet time (weekend etc) and when the administrator has had time to check out the potential side effects (like you mention). If they are doing so then someone has changed the settings.

Personally I have all my SBS sites set to download updates and prompt that they are ready to install. I then install them at the weekend, usually leaving a couple of weeks for any serious issues to become apparent in the internet and in this forum!

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:00 AM
  • My server is set to download only and await installation when convenient. The Exchange SP3 install started on its own three days after the last updates were installed, and not at a very convenient time either! I'm concerned why other services were stopped.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Abosolutely postitively no it doesn't.

No Exchange service pack comes down on MU.

Update rollups yes.  Service packs absolutely not.

Send me your windowsupdate.log to susan@msmvps.com and I will prove it.

Now then, Exchange update rollups for Exchange 2007 were rereleased and the application of them does disable Exchange and at times can leave then not restarted.  Also on a default SBS 2008/SBS 2011, updates are set to download but not automatically install.

We're now nitpicking as obviously something happened, but I'd still like to see your windowsupdate.log as I guarantee you that Exchange service packs do not auto install via MU.

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:05 PM