Can't install .NET Framework 3.5 Features

Question

• Hi everyone,

When installing .NET Framework 3.5, I get the following error message:

Has anyone had the same error?

Regards,
    -T.s

Thuan Soldier
    A 23-year-old man loving Microsoft technologies and making crazy ideas on business journey.
    SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

Friday, May 31, 2013 4:20 PM

Answers

• .NET 3.5 is different from other features.  Its files are not included with a normal installation.  There, you have to specify a location for the installation files or have the machine connected to the internet so it can reach Microsoft and download the files.  The files are located in the \sources\sxs folder on the distribution media.  There is an option when selecting to add this feature to include an alternate destination from which to obtain the files.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:40 PM

All replies

• .NET 3.5 is different from other features.  Its files are not included with a normal installation.  There, you have to specify a location for the installation files or have the machine connected to the internet so it can reach Microsoft and download the files.  The files are located in the \sources\sxs folder on the distribution media.  There is an option when selecting to add this feature to include an alternate destination from which to obtain the files.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, May 31, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Thanks Tim. I've sorted it out following your recommendation. Windows Server 2012 generally hosts .NET Framework 4.5 so we have to re-allocate source path if we want to add .NET Framework 3.5 for installing something (e.g. SQL Server 2008).

Thuan Soldier
    A 23-year-old man loving Microsoft technologies and making crazy ideas on business journey.

Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:44 AM
  • I've had this issue also. How did you "re-allocate the source patch" to allow you to install 3.5?
    Friday, July 12, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hi dude -d,

You need to manually install it because it’s not automatically installed during Windows Server 2012 installation. Use the following command:

$path = "H:\sources\sxs"

Add-WindowsFeatureNET-Framework-Core-Source$path

Note: The DVD source of Windows Server 2012 has to be mapped. In my case, H (yours may be D by default) is the name of the DVD volume and the folder sources\sxs includes many components and packages. One of them is .NET Framework 3.5.

Thuan Soldier

• Proposed as answer by dude -d Friday, July 12, 2013 2:23 PM
    Friday, July 12, 2013 10:18 AM
  • Thanks Thuan. Got my hands on a DVD. Done now.
    Friday, July 12, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Would you please advise how you made it, because i got $path is not recognized and can't install .Net Framework 3.5 until now
    Saturday, February 01, 2014 10:05 AM
  • Hi Hisham, You need to use Windows PowerShell to use the command. Insert Windows Server 2012 DVD to check the path of .NET 3.5 Framework installation source. It's sources\sxs by default. You should be able to find it in the DVD. Feel free to shoot me an email at thuan@outlook.com if you still can't install it. Regards, -T.s

Thuan Soldier

Saturday, February 01, 2014 11:19 AM
  • If you need to build many servers this might come in handy. The post describes how to integrate .net 3.5 into a OSD task sequence

http://www.verboon.info/2013/12/configmgr-osd-enable-net-framework-3-5-on-windows-8-1/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or MVPs.

Twitter: @alexverboon | Blog: Anything About IT

• Proposed as answer by razorbakill Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by razorbakill Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:56 PM
    Saturday, February 01, 2014 12:43 PM
  • I tried every suggestion here
    and elsewhere. I found the solution on someone's blog. Check to see if
    you have the either or both of the following windows updates installed
    and uninstall them. Once I uninstalled them, I was able to install .Net
    Framework
    3.5 on server 2012 using the server manager, power shell, or the
    command line.

Remove KB2769166 & KB2966827

• Proposed as answer by razorbakill Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Ding ding! We have a winner! After trying all the suggestions here, DISM, the Powershell command, and multiple installation media, razorbakill has a working solution. Uninstalled KB2966827 and ran the install through Powershell using...

Install-WindowsFeature –name NET-Framework-Core –source <drive>:\sources\sxs\

Installation was a success! However, Powershell did not immediately report that it had succeeded. But if you run Get-WindowsFeature you will see it is installed.

Happy hunting for bonked updates! Once again, Microsoft: Stop breaking your own OS's functionality with updates.

• Edited by G.Clayton Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:35 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Razorbakill!

Thank you, been scratching my head for a couple of hours.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:54 AM
  • The Oscar goes to razorbakill!

Removed KB2966827, put the DVD in, ran the Server Manager Feature Installer, set the source to <DVD:>/sources/sxs -> installs flawlessly.

Thx!

Friday, September 19, 2014 8:50 PM
  • I've been beating on this problem myself for several days.  I have an identical server that I've installed at a customer's location that seems to be working fine, the one in my office that I purchased and installed at the same time isn't working! 

The alternate source wouldn't work. The "go to windows update" in group policy to disable WSUS as a source . . . didn't work.  Running DISM from the command line didn't work.  It wouldn't even allow me to go to http://www.update.microsoft.com/ without a 404 error.  Dim bulb finally started to glow faintly . . . I had my server set up to update itself from WSUS via group policy setting.  I disabled that GP link and voila! I could install features. 

Just checked on customer Group Policies on identical server that has been working fine . . . their server is has a GPO linked to the server that sets up WSUS for their server. So why does that one work and not mine?  Something different, but somehow related to WSUS and updates (at least in my "testing").

See http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2734782 for those procedures that didn't work for me but did for others.

• Edited by pcsdpolsen Monday, September 29, 2014 10:32 PM more info
    • Proposed as answer by Max Wat Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:53 PM
    Monday, September 29, 2014 10:21 PM
  • Thanks razorbakill, for me the offending update was KB2966828. I also had to install .Net 3.5 via Powershell instead of Server Manager like G.Clayton did.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:20 PM
  • i had the problem too, after uninstall KB2966828 the install of the DotNet Feature via powershell is succesfull.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 5:27 PM
  • My problem was also KB2966828.

Ran from command line;

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /Source:<Drive Letter>:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Installed fine.

• Proposed as answer by PG006 Monday, May 15, 2017 8:36 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 5:59 PM
  • For me, KB2966828 was also the guilty party.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Hello,

I would like to share my experience in this.

Just kick off security updates 2966827 and 2966828. Do the uninstall the things and reboot server.

Then go ahead and run the elevated cmd prompt, type below cmd and hit enter.

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All

Just make sure that you have connected to internet.

I have tried all the possibilities but finally i picked up this one. it works for me in windows server 2012.

I have extracted the above info from sources https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3002547 and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn482069.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

regards,

Dharanesh,

• Proposed as answer by Camerondata Sunday, July 10, 2016 5:21 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2015 7:32 AM
  • All your suggestions DID NOT work in my case. I had ensure none of the conflicting KBs were installed: KB2966826,KB2966827, KB2966828. Yet, none of your suggestions worked, including your fixit, etc, etc...

The only way I got it to work was by enabling "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" option in the local PC policy. 

1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System

3. In right-side pane, look for "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" option.

4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it, set it to Enabled and enable "Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)" option.

That's it. Now try to install .NET Framework 3.5 again using Control Panel -> Programs and Features or by using DISM command and now you'll not face any problem.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2015 9:43 PM
  • I have had an even more weird experience.

After copying the complete sources folder to the local disk (c:\sources...) it worked via server manager roles and features. The mentioned KBs were not installed either.

Regards

Norbert

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:35 AM
  • All your suggestions DID NOT work in my case. I had ensure none of the conflicting KBs were installed: KB2966826,KB2966827, KB2966828. Yet, none of your suggestions worked, including your fixit, etc, etc...

The only way I got it to work was by enabling "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" option in the local PC policy. 

1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to:

3. In right-side pane, look for "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" option.

4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it, set it to Enabled and enable "Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)" option.

That's it. Now try to install .NET Framework 3.5 again using Control Panel -> Programs and Features or by using DISM command and now you'll not face any problem.

This answer solved my problem!
    • Proposed as answer by neilbest65 Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:06 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:50 AM
  • Thanks MASIT, your solution worked for me. We have a WSUS server and like someone else, I was able to install NetFX3.5 on one server but not on another. Didn't make any logical sense and I don't have time to figure out why, just glad your solution worked. 

Thanks

Thursday, February 04, 2016 4:34 PM
  • OMG!

Thanks so much for this solution.

Nothing else worked for me.

I didn't have the offending updates installed as above, so none of the other solutions helped me. This is a godsend!

Cheers, mate.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 9:26 PM
  • Finally! This is the one that fixed it for me. I actually had it enabled but needed to click the box for update directly to download.

thanks a million.

Monday, April 04, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Here is what fixed me.

Insert original OS disk in DVD Drive or Mount ISO of Original disk.

From Server Manager, select add roles and features.

Click next all the way thru to Features, select .NET Framework 3.5 Features. Select next.

At the bottom, click the blue link "Specify an Alternate source path".

On the next screen in path type D:\sources\sxs where D is you DVD Drive or mounted ISO drive.

Click OK, then click Install.

Moordoom

Monday, April 18, 2016 5:04 PM
  • SUCCESS!! Thank you so much for the resolution. I tried all the other fixes, but with no success.  THIS one worked!! Thanks again!
    Monday, June 06, 2016 3:23 PM
  • This is the only thing that worked for me. Our server which had the failing .net install, didn't not have an of the KB's installed that were references in this thread.

Changing the Administrative Template did the trick!!

Thank you!

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:11 PM
  • You're a WHIZ.  This did it for me; from an elevated command prompt.  I got a:

"Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Enabling Feature(s)

Then [--------100.0%----------------]

The operation completed successfully.

Folks, try this first...

Sunday, July 10, 2016 5:24 PM

2. Now go to:

Worked for me as well.

Thank you very much!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 11:37 AM
  • I modified the system policy, but Windows Features still failed. I then ran the DISM command (DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All) which also failed, but it pointed me to some logs which seem to indicate that this feature cannot be found:

Encountered the option "featurename" with value "NetFx3" -
    Encountered an unknown option "featurename" with value "NetFx3" -
    Initiating Changes on Package with values: 5, 7 -
    CBS session options=0x40100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize
    Error in operation: source for package or file not found, ResolveSource() unsuccessful. (CBS HRESULT=0x800f081f) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error
    Failed finalizing changes. -
    The source files could not be found; their location must be specified using the /source option to restore the feature. - GetCbsErrorMsg
    Failed processing package changes with session options -
    Failed ProcessChanges. -
    Failed while processing command enable-feature. -

Does this mean MS is no longer providing this? Is the feature name correct for .NET 3.5?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Thank you so much! At my system this was the only working solution.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 1:24 PM
  • My problem was also KB2966828.

Ran from command line;

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /Source:<Drive Letter>:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Installed fine.

YES! I have installed Windows Server 2016 now so there was no chance to uninstall any update. This solution: 

works great - after that my installation was a success! Thanks

Monday, May 15, 2017 8:37 AM
  • This worked great was having issues installing .Net3.5 on Server 2016 didn't need to uninstall that KB but then command worked perfect and fast!
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:20 PM

2. Now go to:

I've tried all the above suggestions - I'm still failing to get .NET 3.5 installed on a Server 2012 R2 device.

- None of the problem KBs are installed on the server

- I've tried installation from command line, power shell, and server manager GUI

- I've tried using the OS media as the source - failed

- I've copied the SXS folder to the local C:\ and used that as the source - failed

- I've copied the entire Source folder from the OS media to the local C:\ and used that as the source - failed

- I modified the local Group Policy based on MASIT's recommendation - no effect

I've been banging my head against this for about six hours thus far and have made no progress - has anyone else encountered this issue and had none of the above suggestions work? Losing my mind over here...

Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:10 PM
  • I am having the same issue as Dustin Tuttle above.

Tried everything listed above but still cannot install 3.5 on 2012 R2, No 'bad' KBs, mounted ISO, set Group Policy, still fails with the same error.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:27 PM
  • This seems to be a random problem.  By a large margin, it works.  But it seems like in some random cases it fails.  It might take more drastic action.  Have you tried rebuilding the system, only adding the 3.5 feature right after initial install and then updating with patches?  I know it is a draconian method, but due to the randomness of this issue, it might be the quickest way to resolve.

tim

Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution? I'm at the same spot and need to get this installed.

Friday, September 29, 2017 8:15 PM
  • Thanks!

After enabling this feature I was able to install .NET 3.5 on a 2016 Server. 

Cheers,

Erik

Monday, December 11, 2017 11:28 AM

2. Now go to:

Cool! Solved my problem! \O/
    Monday, April 23, 2018 8:24 PM
  • Did you mange to get this resolved? I am in the same boat as you. With the exception that I've been at it for 8hrs+
    Saturday, June 09, 2018 6:10 AM