Problem with monitoring changes to the registry RRS feed

• Question

• I just got done working around a very odd problem that I had while sequencing a program and figured I'd throw the question out there to see if anyone has any insight as to what was going on here.

Basically, the program would sequence fine (or so it seemed), but clients were missing most of not all of the virtual registry of the package.  I then discovered that even though according to the GUI the sequencer was catching all the program's registry changes, the sequencer itself wasn't even making any changes to its registry while installing the program.  The program would run fine on the sequencer during the monitoring and launch phases, but after that it would fail because there was no sign of it in the registry!

The fix was to install the program on the sequencing station without running the sequencer, export the missing keys to a file, clean the slate, start sequencing and install the program again, import the keys while monitoring (even though they supposedly already exist), and voila the package works great.

Even though everything fixed and working, any ideas why the sequencer/installer was bahaving this way in the first place?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I did have similar issue with one old software. Not all registry settings where captured for some reason.

Problem was 16 bit installer! I needed to set this reg key before sequence to make it work:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WOW]
    "DefaultSeparateVDM"="yes

I found solution from here:

http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=40

Cheers, Hude

• Marked as answer by S_Sanchez Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:17 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I am very confused as to what is happening pre-monitoring, during monitoring, post-monitoring and when deployed to the client?

There are several reasons things would not show up in the native registry (well, yeah - we are talking to application virtualization) and the thing that should also be clarified is wether you check the _virtual_ registry or the _native_ registry.

/Znack
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply znack.

Sorry for the confusion, every time I use the term registry alone, I mean the native registry.  Otherwise I call it the virtual registry.

Part of my problem is that I didn't realize that registry changes made during monitoring are made exclusively to the virtual registry and not the native registry of the sequencing machine.  My sequencing station returns to its original state after restarting, so I was just assuming that changes were normally made to the native registry while sequencing, and that the monitor would just pick up those changes and create the virtual registry from it.  But now I'm noticing that that isn't the case.

That being said, here's a overview of what I was observing before applying the fix:

Pre-monitoring- nothing to note here

During Monitoring- no changes made to native registry; changes appear in "Virtual Registry" tab

Post-monitoring- program will not run on the sequencer because of keys missing from native registry

Deployed- program will not run on client because of keys missing from virtual registry

After applying my solution of manually importing the registry changes after the program installs while monitoring, the missing keys appear in the clients' virtual registry and everything works.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Hello,

I did have similar issue with one old software. Not all registry settings where captured for some reason.

Problem was 16 bit installer! I needed to set this reg key before sequence to make it work:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WOW]
    "DefaultSeparateVDM"="yes

I found solution from here:

http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=40

Cheers, Hude

• Marked as answer by S_Sanchez Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:17 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:59 AM