Multiple BSOD Causes RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a number of BSOD which may be due to multiple causes. Using BlueScreenViewer to read the minidump files for the last few days suggests that it may be related to Norton 360 given the ENG64.sys and SYMEFA64.SYS caused by driver indications. Some of the other drivers may indicate other causes. See the files at https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=282ab20af637377c&resid=282AB20AF637377C!105

In addition prior to obtaining BlueScreenViewer I had several other BSOD with codes 1000007E suggesting SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. 00000001 - APC_INDEX_MISMATCH,  0000000A  - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, 0000001A - MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and 00000034 - CACHE_MANAGER. I did have MSE at the same time and uninstalled that given the opinion that having both MSE and Norton 360 is not good.  I also uninstalled Mirroring program and disabled Windows Defender. It has also been suggested that some programs not 64 bit could be problematic and I wonder whether there is a Windows program that would tell me whether any programs currently installed are potentially causing some BSOD. Given all of these, I wonder whether someone could tell me whether this is all Norton 360 or other items too. I have seen the other threads about how best to remove Norton and intend to do that soon once I get confirmation here to do so.

Here is a bit more information about the system. Let me know what other information you may need. Please be as specific as possible as to where to find the information needed as the process of putting all this together as taken me a lot of time. In addition I cannot always get to the computer quickly to address items suggested.

MS Windows 7 Professional X64-bit SP1

MOBO: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Model P5G41T-M LX3 BIOS Brand American Megatrends Inc. Version 0302 Date 01/13/2011

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Graphics: 1024MB nVidia Corporation [GeForce GT 440] [ASUSTeK Computer Inc] DriverDate 8-3-2011 DriverVersion 8.17.12.8026
    RAM: Corsair 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (PC3-10700H) DDR3 @ 533MHz (8-8-8-20)
    PSU: Antec 550W
    Keyboard: Logitech

Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After diagnosing the BSOD dump file, I found that the false module is win32k.sys.

The potential cause for the win32k.sys stop code is a corrupt Virtual Memory. This can be enabled or disabled by going into:

My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Virtual Memory.

After making changes you will have to restart your computer.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to check the hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by a1newman Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:20 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

I mean the Virtual Memory need to be re-initialized. Please just disable it, then re-enable it after reboot.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After diagnosing the BSOD dump file, I found that the false module is win32k.sys.

The potential cause for the win32k.sys stop code is a corrupt Virtual Memory. This can be enabled or disabled by going into:

My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Virtual Memory.

After making changes you will have to restart your computer.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to check the hardware.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Thank you. I found that when I got to Virtual Memory I could change from "System Managed Size" to "No paging file". Is that what you mean by disabling it?
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:53 AM
  • When I click to set "No paging file". it states that if a system error occurs, Windows might not record details that could help identify the problem. Does that mean the BSOD dump files won't be generated if BSOD continues?
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Hi,

I mean the Virtual Memory need to be re-initialized. Please just disable it, then re-enable it after reboot.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Although not certain yet whether this does solve the problem, I am marking it as answer unlee BSOD comes back. I did have to re-initize in Safe Mode as Windows Explorer would restart after every mouse click in normal mode.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:20 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=282ab20af637377c&resid=282AB20AF637377C!118

The number of BSOD has decreased and the computer was in use most of the day; however, two new errors came up today as you see in the link above. The first showed the same error code as some in the past although a different driver was  identified by BlueScreenViewer. Any further suggestions on fixing this? I am very anxious to get this fixed and certainly appreciate your input.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:47 AM