Cordless Logitech Mouse - "INF written for Windows 95 or later, driver missing entry file" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've been using my Logitech V450 Laser Cordless Mouse for a few months now. I'm running Vista Ultimate (all updates installed). I've recently reformatted my computer and now am having issues getting my V450 to work. When I insert the USB receiver, Windows attempts to install and comes back with the error:

"INF written for Windows 95 or later, driver missing entry file".

The device works on my other computer running Vista Home Premium no problem.

I then installed  Logitech's SetPoint 4.40. The mouse then showed up as an 'Unknown Device' in Control Panel. After telling Vista to reinstall the driver, it says:

"Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date. 'Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse'"

but remains as an unknown device. Is there a solution beyond reformatting again? I don't want to waste time doing that just to get a mouse to work.

The computer that the mouse doesn't work on has all the same usb*.inf files that the computer the mouse does work on has.

When trying to manually choose what driver to install, and choosing the "Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse", Vista treats me with this error:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I've tried numerous approaches of removing the driver and auto-finding one or manually choosing one, all to no avail.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide,

Have a great day.

Chris

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:45 PM

Answers

• Okay, well, I fixed it. Thought I'd let others know how.

(Note, although I consider myself very knowledgeable about computers, this was slightly outside my domain. Hopefully someone can clarify exactly what pellet of my buckshot actually hit the target [odd analogy, I know.])

Basically, I've read as a solution to fixing webcams that won't install, to replace specific .inf files in the c:\windows\inf directory from a computer running the same SP and OS. I replaced all the usb*.inf files with no change in results. Which lead to the aforementioned buckshot: replacing every single .inf in that folder from a computer I had running the exact same OS and version (Vista Ultimate). As soon as I plugged the mouse in again, it worked.

As I said, hopefully someone can clarify exactly what .inf I needed to replace for people who may experience this problem in the future.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:50 PM

All replies

• Okay, well, I fixed it. Thought I'd let others know how.

(Note, although I consider myself very knowledgeable about computers, this was slightly outside my domain. Hopefully someone can clarify exactly what pellet of my buckshot actually hit the target [odd analogy, I know.])

Basically, I've read as a solution to fixing webcams that won't install, to replace specific .inf files in the c:\windows\inf directory from a computer running the same SP and OS. I replaced all the usb*.inf files with no change in results. Which lead to the aforementioned buckshot: replacing every single .inf in that folder from a computer I had running the exact same OS and version (Vista Ultimate). As soon as I plugged the mouse in again, it worked.

As I said, hopefully someone can clarify exactly what .inf I needed to replace for people who may experience this problem in the future.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Thanks for the info, Cstorey. I'm having the exact same problem ever since I installed the latest Vista update (yesterday). Apparently few people have the Ultimate edition. Could you perhaps send me the files you replaced because I can't find them anywhere.
    Tnx
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:59 PM
  • I had the same issue, and tried a system restore...the mouse worked at the login screen, but once I logged in it stopped working...I really dont feel like playing with any INF files, so if anybody knows of an alternate fix, please let me know.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:33 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem with all logitech mouses. Only my wacom tablet works because it's using his own drivers or was never to be uninstalled after the update. Problem also started after the update yesterday.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:10 AM
  •  

it can be resolved by doing system restore. just restore to a point where the update was not yet installed
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:46 PM
  • thank you for your suggestion, but that didn't work. First my problems were solved but after a minute or so vista had a different opionion of which was the best driver for me so it kicked the old one out again apparantly and installed a new or cached one which put me back on square one.

Topic to be continued on:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3158233&SiteID=1&mode=1
    Friday, April 11, 2008 6:23 AM
  • Had the same problem on a client's system.  Went about trouble shooting a bit differently, but in the end the same result.  The .inf file that is needed is the input.inf file (that is the only one I replaced)  I also rolled the system back (via restore points) to before the culprit update.  Don't know the exact date it came down so just went to the 4/4 restore point.

Funny (if you have a warped sense of humor) thing about this update is that it does not appear to affect all systems equally and if you don;t have a USB mouse when it is installed, you can install a new one fine afterward.  I think it must have been part of the build up to sp1 that should have instead been a part of sp1.  But then what do I know.

FYI, I don't think the version of Vista you get the file from is too critical.  I was working on a Vista Business system, but got the input.inf file from a Vista Ultimate notebook.

Hope this gets some of you back and working w/o too much trouble.  Of course if you don't know how to get around w/ only a kb, I'll pray for you.

Monday, April 14, 2008 11:10 AM
  •  Bob Showalter wrote:

Had the same problem on a client's system.  Went about trouble shooting a bit differently, but in the end the same result.  The .inf file that is needed is the input.inf file (that is the only one I replaced)  I also rolled the system back (via restore points) to before the culprit update.  Don't know the exact date it came down so just went to the 4/4 restore point.

Funny (if you have a warped sense of humor) thing about this update is that it does not appear to affect all systems equally and if you don;t have a USB mouse when it is installed, you can install a new one fine afterward.  I think it must have been part of the build up to sp1 that should have instead been a part of sp1.  But then what do I know.

FYI, I don't think the version of Vista you get the file from is too critical.  I was working on a Vista Business system, but got the input.inf file from a Vista Ultimate notebook.

Hope this gets some of you back and working w/o too much trouble.  Of course if you don't know how to get around w/ only a kb, I'll pray for you.

Thanks Bob!

This appeared to work.  The only problem is that I cannot use my old 3D Optical Mini Mouse for some reason.  The system doesn't appear to even notice it's presence.  However, I just simply used another optical mouse I had on-hand that wouldn't work prior to your advice, but now it does.  Great work everyone!!
    Monday, April 21, 2008 12:05 AM
  • i've been having this exact problem since the 9th, when i installed the update, and the person who built my computer accused me of 'killing' it (still no apology...) Anyway, i read like four different forums about people with the same problem (luckly, i can navigate the computer via keyboard ).  I tried everything; restore point, different mice (even one from the late 80s i think), using the winsxs file like someone said, etc and nothing was working.

Finally, late last night, i got fed up, uninstalled everything under the HID section, shut down my computer, unplugged my mouse, restarted and once i got to my account plugged the mouse back in (USB) and vista installed the drivers and it is working fine, for now....

i hope this helps someone out there.  but its really poor on microsofts part for not catching this before they 'unleashed' it. 

Thanks for your help guys
    Monday, April 21, 2008 1:02 PM
  • My problem isn't with the logitech mouse but with the logitech momo steering wheel and the cordless rumblepad, comes up when trying to install them.  Can someone send the corrected INF over to me so I can change my Registry, Ta very muchly :-)

Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:18 PM
  • how did u do that i tried to install a logitech webcam but it shows up as  a unknown device and the error message is the required section did not find inf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:12 PM
  • This is not the most elegant solution. I know why this happens. Your hardware`s driver is not digitally signed. THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD DO: right click on my computer, navigate to your unknown hardware, right click to it then click Update driver. A window appears then you should choose "don`t search I`ll install the driver myself". From the list, choose HIDClass or USB Compilant. Click next. In the next window DO NOT CHOOSE THE DIGITALLY SIGNED DRIVER. Choose the other one below it, that is not digitally signed. Your Windows rejected the original driver from device`s firmware and tried to install its own. Wrong one, of course. Hope this helped.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 9:30 AM