none
Resources stucked in failover cluster

Question

• Hi,

I have 2 node Hyper-V cluster managed by SC VMM. Yesterday, I've deleted one clustered VM A and tried to move storage for VM B from VMM console (immediately after each other). According to VMM VM A was successfuly deleted and storage migration (between two CSV) for VM B failed. That's the point of view for VMM. In Failover Cluster Manager I can still see VM A in failed state saying that "An error occured for resources SCVMM VM A Configuration". More strangely in Failover Cluster Manager I can see three VMs named SCVMM VM B Resources, SCVMM VM B Resources (1) and SCVMM VM B Resources (2). All three are in failed state saying "A virtual machine resources was not found in clustered virtual machine"

I've checked all CSVs. Files for VM A were deleted and files for VM B were duplicated and resist on both CSVs. In event log on hosts I can see multiple events with ID 21502 saying:

SCVMM VM B failed to unregister the virtual machine configuration during the initialization of the resource: The wait operation timed out. (0x00000102).

SCVMM VM B (1) failed to unregister the virtual machine configuration during the initialization of the resource: The wait operation timed out. (0x00000102).

SCVMM VM B (2) failed to unregister the virtual machine configuration during the initialization of the resource: The wait operation timed out. (0x00000102).

and

SCVMM VM A failed to register the virtual machine with the virtual machine management service.

I was able to manually move VM B to another host outside the cluster, so for now the goal is to remove all this failing resources. I've tried to remove them from Failover Cluster Manager console, but with no luck (it just not doing anything). Then I've tried to use Remove-ClusterResource and Remove-ClusterGroup cmdlets but again, it freezes the powershell and not doying anything. There is even a problem with restarting the hosts, because Cluster Service fails to stop (but not generating any event in the event log).

Has anyone meets the same problem? How can I get rid of these VMs from cluster configuration?

George

Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

so strange things are happening. Today morning, I've checked the cluster If there are no new issues and I've noticed that there are no errors during past 24 hours. So I've tried to delete all bad VMs (from mmc console) and without any issues they are gone. I've downloaded logs from the hosts and in the dreamless nights I will investigate what was happened during past 5 days :).

Thanks for your answers.

George

• Marked as answer by Jiří Kubeš Friday, February 24, 2017 10:07 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

What version of SCVMM and cluster server are you using ?

Have you installed latest UR for VMM server ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hi Elton,

SCVMM is 2016 (service version 4.0.1968.10) and Hyper-V is also 2016. Installation of the latest UR is planned but I doubt it can resolve the issue. VM A is no longer visible in VMM (not even after cluster refresh) and VM B is shown only once, but any actions on this VM fails.

Guest operating system on VM A was Windows Server 2016 and on VM B is CenOS Linux 7.3.

George

Monday, February 20, 2017 12:56 PM
  • In order to reach as many experts in this topic as possible, you might want to post in the VMM clustering forum - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=virtualmachinemgrclustering

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

so strange things are happening. Today morning, I've checked the cluster If there are no new issues and I've noticed that there are no errors during past 24 hours. So I've tried to delete all bad VMs (from mmc console) and without any issues they are gone. I've downloaded logs from the hosts and in the dreamless nights I will investigate what was happened during past 5 days :).

Thanks for your answers.

George

• Marked as answer by Jiří Kubeš Friday, February 24, 2017 10:07 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 10:07 AM
  • We are experiencing the same thing on the latest VMM and 2016 Datacenter Hyper-V. Hard resetting the server fixes it for the time being.
    Monday, February 12, 2018 9:18 PM