File sharing does not work on Windows Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Here is the problem: Windows Server 2019, Domain Controller, Firewall is off, Microsoft Antivirus.

Services started : Function Discovery*, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host, etc.

Let's say that the server name is "atlanta" and that I have some shared folders on this server.

I can access the folder "D:\SalesResults" for example but if this folder is shared, I cannot access it using "\\atlanta\SalesResults" from the server or from any workstations.

I get the error "Windows cannot access \\atlanta\SalesResults, Error code: 0x80070035, The network path was not found".

I have found that if I uncheck "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in the Ethernet properties of the network card + OK and if I check it again + OK, then the shared folders can be accessed.

Each time I reboot the server, the problem appears again.

Any idea?

Friday, December 28, 2018 4:51 PM

Answers

• I find the solution.

The Twisty Impersonator solution!

Here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1240213/cannot-connect-to-windows-share-via-local-network-ip-address-but-can-by-localho

• Marked as answer by bob92 Friday, December 28, 2018 9:00 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2018 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

I have no idea how this error related to"file and printer sharing for Microsoft network "..

Anyway have look at the below article.. I had this issues for my client and this helped me

Microsoft allows computers with Microsoft Windows operating systems and sharing the same network to have access to the files and data on each other’s computer without cables. But the initiating user might see the message saying that Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found.

This error could be caused by various causes, but there are some general resolutions that are going to help you with it. So please try the following methods below to troubleshoot and get your problem solved!

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/error-code-0x80070035-the-network-path-was-not-found-solved/

Hope this helps

Please don't forget to “mark the replies as answers if they helped, also set "like" it’s a boost for us to keep blogging J

Friday, December 28, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Hi Thuyavan,

Thank you for your help.

I tried what was indicated by your link but unfortunately this did not resolve my problem.

I am still looking for a solution...

Friday, December 28, 2018 6:56 PM
  • I find the solution.

The Twisty Impersonator solution!

Here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1240213/cannot-connect-to-windows-share-via-local-network-ip-address-but-can-by-localho

• Marked as answer by bob92 Friday, December 28, 2018 9:00 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2018 9:00 PM
  • I am glad you found the solution.
    Friday, December 28, 2018 9:11 PM
  • I had a similar problem, but got the error code when accessing the server's shared folder either by way of File Explorer or the UNC path to it. Windows Server 2019, Domain Controller, Firewall is on, Microsoft Antivirus. I unchecked "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in the Ethernet properties of the network card + OK and I checked it again + OK, then the shared folders could be accessed. However, I could still continue to access it after having shutdown and restarted the Windows Server 2019 which is a virtual machine running in Hyper-V on a Windows 10 Pro v1809 host computer. So I have not needed to repeat the NIC fix.
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:32 PM
  • Same issue here. Windows server 2019 network shares not accessible from anywhere

Spent quite a lot of time specially after fresh update to 1809 wondering what my cause the issue.

My symptoms were:

1) Cant open any share from other machines in our domain \\XXX.XXX.XXX\Share1 or \\XXX.XXX.XXX.\C$

2) Locally on the host I could open and see the \\XXX.XXX.XXX\Share1 one example but if I try to connect it have me that its either not active share or either wrong name/ip

What resolved it was going to the network adapter and UNMARK the checkbox for File and printer Sharing on Microsoft Networks. Save it. Then mark again the checkbox and it fixed it.  It seems this re-check - check pushed the proper config. 

Thank you MikroByte for sharing your fix here with us!

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:40 PM
  • This solved my issue as well. Thank you.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:00 PM
  • Thanks. I could not solve this problem with Server 2019 for a week.  I was afraid that this program would not help because I have Hyper-V with internal and external connections.. But this solution took 1 minute and reboot from me.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 4:47 AM
  • I just upgraded a two servers to Windows 2019.  One server was an in-place upgrade and one server was a clean install and both are not allowing me to browse them remotely.  I can ping and I can remote desktop into them but when I try to browse via \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$ it errors out.  I am able to browse itself using that same command.

Error code: 0x80070035 - network path not found

I am able to browse all my Windows 2016 servers without any problem.  I have triple-checked my group policies and it seems to be fine.  I pulled the GPO's and recreated from scratch to ensure it is correct.  This domain has Windows 2016 domain controllers and was built with 2016.  I get the same result on all operating systems (Win10, Win2012r2, Win2016, Win2019).

I have a test domain that was built with Windows 2019 and I don't have this issue on that domain.  I made sure to follow the exact same GPO structure on both domains.  I tried the fixes listed in this thread and haven't found a solution yet.

• Proposed as answer by Rick Pa Wednesday, February 26, 2020 5:03 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rick Pa Wednesday, February 26, 2020 5:03 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2020 2:41 PM
  • I found the fix.  I had to create a folder share and that fixed the problem.  I was able to access \\192.168.50.10\Temp after I created a share.  I could also access \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\c$ as well.  I was unable to access the C$ share and I have never had that problem before.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 5:04 AM