none
Why does a Master Project Plan 2013 with two subprojects loose a combined timeline view when one of the projects is updated? RRS feed

• Question

• 

I have created a master project schedule with 2 subprojects. Both subprojects have their own timeline view. And I build one more for the combined view since when the projects were merged into 1 the timelines did not migrate with them. Now when one of the subprojects is updated the timeline for that project disappears from the master view ...My whole idea with the master project was that I will not need to do anything with the timeline manually! So if this does not work I would need to go back to manual updates which is not what I had in mind...

What options do I have?Sincerely, Maria

Mbitt

Friday, December 8, 2017 3:40 PM

All replies

• Maria,

I'm a little confused. Views are independent between the master and any inserted subprojects so that's why when you created the master, neither subproject timeline appeared. The confusing part is your third sentence that says, "when one of the subprojects is updated the timeline for that project disappears from the master view". What do you mean it disappears? Do you mean when a task in a subproject is updated and you have expressly selected that supproject task to appear in the master timeline, it disappears from the master timeline entirely?

In the first screen shot below I show a spit screen of a dynamic master (top pane) and one of the inserted subprojects (lower pane). Note the master timeline presentation of Proj A - Task 2. It has a duration of 10ed and that is reflected in both timelines.

Now I update the duration of Proj A - Task 2 to 20ed. The following screen shot shows that update appearing in the timeline at both subproject and master level.

Is that what you are expecting but not seeing?

You may or may not be aware that linked structures in Project (e.g. master/subprojects) are prone to corruption. You must never rename, move, overwrite, or save off to another location any of the files in the structure. Ideally, all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

If you expect to see the results I presented in the above screen shots, it may be possible that your structure is corrupt and needs to be fixed.

John

Friday, December 8, 2017 5:43 PM