mailbox migrate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts
    i want to migrate cloud user to exchange onprem.
    The cloud mailbox size is 100MB and recoverable items folder size was 2GB, i have deleted the recoverable items folder, 
    currently its size is 110MB, in which Audit folder shows as 97MB, is it possible to delete this Audit folder size.
    because i cannot migrate the mailbox if it is more than 150MB size as i have restriction on my exchange onprem database to which i will migrate this mailbox, the users quota  on this database is set to 150MB as restriction is set on database size.
    Friday, January 4, 2019 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Audit folder creates under recoverable item folders in mailbox. You have to use MFCMAPI to got there.

You have to be very careful with MFCMAPI. A wrong steps can completely damage your mailbox.

Why you don't Export items in pst and then move mailbox. After that import pst to mailbox.

You can increase size of this one particular mailbox for migration purpose.

If you still want to use MFCMAPi then follow below.

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/hidemovedeletemfcmapi.htm

Personally I don't recommend to use MFCMAPI until you are not 100% sure that how to use it.

Thanks, Ashish MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Another option for you is to set the age limit for mailbox audit log entries to 0 day, then the audit logs will expire soon:

Set-Mailbox -Identity "<Mailbox_ID>" -AuditLogAgeLimit 0

After a while, check the mailbox folder and subfolder size, make sure the Audit log folder is empty, then re-set the age limit to the previous value, it is 90 days by default.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by ItsMe-Roger Thursday, January 17, 2019 1:17 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2019 6:47 AM
  • or do i need to use this syntax

Search-Mailbox user@contonso.com -SearchQuery size>0 -SearchDumpsterOnly -DeleteContent

"Size" is not an acceptable variable in my Exchange 2010 lab, so this command will return no result. 

Have you recheck the audit folder size after a while? Same result?

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

After a further research, I found that the command is feasible in Exchange online:

Delete items in the Recoverable Items folder of cloud-based mailboxes on hold - Admin Help

So you could firstly copies all items in the user's Recoverable Items folder to a folder in your organization's Discovery Search Mailbox and then deletes the items from the user's Recoverable Items folder.

Search-Mailbox <username> -SearchQuery size>0 -SearchDumpsterOnly -TargetMailbox "Discovery Search Mailbox" -TargetFolder "<foldername>" -DeleteContent

Regards,

Manu Meng

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:24 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2019 10:39 AM
  • Thanks alot

To copy to discovery search mailbox and delete. i will use the below syntax

Search-Mailbox user1@contonso.com -SearchQuery size>0 -SearchDumpsterOnly -TargetMailbox "Discovery Search Mailbox" -TargetFolder "user1-AuditFolder" -DeleteContent

Just delete without coping to discovery search mailbox i will use the below syntax

Search-Mailbox user1@contonso.com -SearchQuery size>0 -SearchDumpsterOnly -DeleteContent

Yes, you are right. So did you run the one of the above command? What is the result?

Regards,

Manu Meng

Monday, January 14, 2019 9:59 AM

All replies

• Disable mailbox audit on mailbox and then you can go ahead with delete.

Friday, January 4, 2019 12:42 PM
  • I will disable Mailbox Auditing, please help me with the syntax to delete Audit Folder Logs
    Friday, January 4, 2019 6:22 PM
  • Set-Mailbox -Identity "Test1" -AuditEnabled $true

After that delete audit logs folder.

Friday, January 4, 2019 6:35 PM
  • i need the syntax to delete this audit logs folder
    Saturday, January 5, 2019 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

Audit folder creates under recoverable item folders in mailbox. You have to use MFCMAPI to got there.

You have to be very careful with MFCMAPI. A wrong steps can completely damage your mailbox.

Why you don't Export items in pst and then move mailbox. After that import pst to mailbox.

Personally I don't recommend to use MFCMAPI until you are not 100% sure that how to use it.

• Proposed as answer by Tech2019 Sunday, January 6, 2019 3:56 AM
    Saturday, January 5, 2019 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

Another option for you is to set the age limit for mailbox audit log entries to 0 day, then the audit logs will expire soon:

Set-Mailbox -Identity "<Mailbox_ID>" -AuditLogAgeLimit 0

After a while, check the mailbox folder and subfolder size, make sure the Audit log folder is empty, then re-set the age limit to the previous value, it is 90 days by default.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Monday, January 7, 2019 6:47 AM
  • i have set audit log age limit to 0 days and even i have disabled auditing and when i use the below syntax i can see Audit folder as 90MB, experts plz suggest me 

Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Identity user@contonso.com -FolderScope RecoverableItems | Format-Table Name,FolderAndSubfolderSize,ItemsInFolderAndSubfolders -Auto

• Edited by ItsMe-Roger Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:17 AM c
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:16 AM

Search-Mailbox user@contonso.com -SearchQuery size>0 -SearchDumpsterOnly -DeleteContent

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 7:25 AM

"Size" is not an acceptable variable in my Exchange 2010 lab, so this command will return no result. 

Regards,

Manu Meng

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:57 AM
  • i waited for 24 hours
    Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Identity user@contonso.com -FolderScope RecoverableItems | Format-Table Name,FolderAndSubfolderSize,ItemsInFolderAndSubfolders -Auto

Thursday, January 10, 2019 7:21 AM

Regards,

Manu Meng

After a further research, I found that the command is feasible in Exchange online:

Delete items in the Recoverable Items folder of cloud-based mailboxes on hold - Admin Help

So you could firstly copies all items in the user's Recoverable Items folder to a folder in your organization's Discovery Search Mailbox and then deletes the items from the user's Recoverable Items folder.

Search-Mailbox <username> -SearchQuery size>0 -SearchDumpsterOnly -TargetMailbox "Discovery Search Mailbox" -TargetFolder "<foldername>" -DeleteContent

Regards,

Manu Meng

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:24 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2019 10:39 AM
  • Thanks alot

Search-Mailbox user1@contonso.com -SearchQuery size>0 -SearchDumpsterOnly -TargetMailbox "Discovery Search Mailbox" -TargetFolder "user1-AuditFolder" -DeleteContent

Just delete without coping to discovery search mailbox i will use the below syntax

Search-Mailbox user1@contonso.com -SearchQuery size>0 -SearchDumpsterOnly -DeleteContent

Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:43 PM
  • Thanks alot

Yes, you are right. So did you run the one of the above command? What is the result?

Regards,

Manu Meng

Monday, January 14, 2019 9:59 AM