dll not registering with error code 0x80004005 RRS feed

• Question

• A dll that registers fine in Win7 x86 and x64 is constantly erroring when I try to install in Win10 x64. The error message is the module "dllpath\dllname.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterService failed with error code 0x80004005.

This error code normally refers to permissions, but I'm running the command from an elevated command prompt. I even turned UAC off as well. I've tried regsvr32 from syswow64 as well as regular, still get the same message.

Any ideas?

Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:29 PM

Answers

• This error code normally refers to permissions, but I'm running the command from an elevated command prompt.

If the permissions are set on a key such that you are excluded you won't be able to change the values in it.   Run  ProcMon  to see if this is the case.  

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 6, 2016 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric G-S,

For the issue, we always right click on Command Prompt and run as administrator. Then try registering the dll file.

Meanwhile, we could set permissions on library under your user name in registry editor. Please follow the steps in the below to check.

1.Click on Start; in the start search type regedit and press Enter.

2.If you receive User account control prompt, click on Yes.

3.Go to Registry Editor (regedit) and to key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib

4.Right click on TypeLib and select Permissions and go to the Security tab

5.Find out if your username is listed in the list of users, if so make sure you’ve Full Control

6.If not click on Add and type in the username. Once added make sure the user has Full Control.

7.Apply changes and close the registry editor.

I find a similar post with your issue. Please check the link below to get more information.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b7d1a35f-3759-4217-91ba-e4416ac19d78/how-do-you-fix-error-code-0x80004005?forum=jscript

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:59 AM
  • Carl Fan thank you for your reply. As I already stated I'm using an elevated command prompt, so that's not it. I have Full Control rights on TypeLib in the Registry.

The dll to be registered does show up as an entry under TypeLib.

For reference the DLL is an add in for Outlook (x86) version and OS is Win 10 Enterprise x64 (1511)

Friday, August 5, 2016 9:09 AM
  • This error code normally refers to permissions, but I'm running the command from an elevated command prompt.

If the permissions are set on a key such that you are excluded you won't be able to change the values in it.   Run  ProcMon  to see if this is the case.  

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 6, 2016 2:13 PM