what is the meaning of deleting checkpoint from a virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• I'm quoting microsoft doc

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/checkpoints

When you delete a checkpoint, Hyper-V merges the .avhdx and .vhdx files for you. Once completed, the checkpoint's .avhdx file will be deleted from the file system.

Let's say that my virtual machine has 2 checkpoints created one from the date 10/06/19 and another one 28/06/19

if i'll delete both checkpoints and merge will happen and todays date is 02/07/19

will i lose data on my virtual machine? what are the consequences?

Monday, July 1, 2019 9:36 PM

Answers

• Deleting a checkpoint removes the previous state of the VM that was saved at the point it was taken.

The latest version of the VM will be merged from the delta file back into the original disk file so current data will not be lost, only the old version of the VM will be deleted.

• Marked as answer by QmarkIT Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:44 AM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 9:49 PM

All replies

• Deleting a checkpoint removes the previous state of the VM that was saved at the point it was taken.

The latest version of the VM will be merged from the delta file back into the original disk file so current data will not be lost, only the old version of the VM will be deleted.

• Marked as answer by QmarkIT Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:44 AM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 9:49 PM

so if i'll delete both checkpoints from my virtual machines i'll not lose any data

only the checkpoints will be deleted (previous state as you say)

Monday, July 1, 2019 10:04 PM
  • Correct, you will only lose the previous versions, not the current state.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:06 AM