none
Warning when a resource's day-off pushes the task to next day RRS feed

• Question

• When a resource's day-off, or his holiday collides with an auto-scheduled task that is set with a lag from a manually scheduled task, the task is pushed to the next available day. That is expected from MS Project.

However, if I want to see that impact, so that I'm aware that the task will be delayed.

The painting company example that keeps me safe from exposing my company's proprietary information:

Task 1  (manually scheduled): Apply paint on a Friday

Task 2  (auto scheduled): Check if paint is dry enough (predecessor: Task 1, (1FS + 3 days). I assigned task 2 to the Painter 1.

Sunday night: The Painter 1 called in sick for Monday, and I updated his working calendar with his sick day. If I keep him assigned to task 2, the task is pushed to Tuesday, but I have so many projects going on, I missed this delay. I don't want that, I have other painters who can do the task 2.

How can I see that as a warning, so that I can assign the painter 2 to task 2?

I hope I'm being clear enough.

Thank you,

Ekin.

Friday, July 21, 2017 5:16 PM

Answers

• Maviriver,

The blue background is called change highlighting. It is intended to basically do what you are asking, so it will in effect flag the schedule change when you update something that impacts a task cell (e.g. duration, start, finish, etc.).

So the "warning" is already there, you just need to recognize it and take action as necessary. Note, that in your example, the first change (i.e. painter 1 sick day) causes change highlighting because the finish date moves out one day. Assigning another painter to correct the slipped schedule also causes change highlighting because the finish date gets moved back.

Realize that Project is a tool and it can only do so much. It is the user's responsibility to analyze the data presented and manage the schedule accordingly.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Maviriver Friday, July 21, 2017 5:51 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 5:35 PM

All replies

• In addition: I realize the pushed tasks' cells turn blue when that happens. But then, when I unassign the painter 2 from task 2, the blue remains.

Friday, July 21, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Maviriver,

The blue background is called change highlighting. It is intended to basically do what you are asking, so it will in effect flag the schedule change when you update something that impacts a task cell (e.g. duration, start, finish, etc.).

So the "warning" is already there, you just need to recognize it and take action as necessary. Note, that in your example, the first change (i.e. painter 1 sick day) causes change highlighting because the finish date moves out one day. Assigning another painter to correct the slipped schedule also causes change highlighting because the finish date gets moved back.

Realize that Project is a tool and it can only do so much. It is the user's responsibility to analyze the data presented and manage the schedule accordingly.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Maviriver Friday, July 21, 2017 5:51 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 5:35 PM
  • Thanks again for the answer and the terminology - vocabulary update.

It's the classic circularity where a tool's certain limitation is unknown until it's clarified whether it's because such limitation is caused by the user's learning ability - knowledge base, or the tool's own limitations. I'm out of that particular circle now.

Thank you,

Ekin.

Friday, July 21, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Ekin,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback

John

Friday, July 21, 2017 7:59 PM