none
help with Custom Field for Expected % complete RRS feed

• Question

•  HI,

I Have tried various incarnation of custom fields that people have created over the internet which at first appear to work as one might expct. However I have found a flaw in all the ones I have found so far where by nonworking times other than weekends, so holidays etc are ignored and it ends up reporting back that a task is 100% complete, where it might only be 60 if for example a user had 2 day holiday in the calendar.

In my attached example you will see I have a couple of custome fields with different methods my own method, “number3” is closest in terms of valid data, but it has its own problems too, such as when a task finishes early!

Is there any modifications I could make to “number4” which would effectively ignore nonworking time as it does for weekends? My attached scenario has a 5 day task, which straddles not only a weekend but also a 2dayholiday on the mon-tue. Expcted % should recognize there is a holiday and deduct it from something??

In reality if you move the status date to the wed, because of the holiday you would expect the task to be only 60% complete, but the custom field reports 100% completely ignoring holidays.

Any ideas?  

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:45 AM

Answers

• HI Jan,

I "think" i have satisified my own requirments with the following simple formula: ([BCWS]/[Baseline Cost])*100

This appears to do exactly what i need, i.e report the planned progress should be.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you paste the code inside a post? I can't see any atachments

Greetings,

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

the most recent one i have tried is as follows:

IIf([Baseline Finish]<=[Status Date],"100",IIf([Baseline Start]>[Status Date],0,int(0.5+100*(ProjDateDiff([Baseline Start],[Status Date])/[Baseline Duration]))))

I have also tried this one which is a bit better IMHO, but neither do exactly what i need. I worked out there, that I woulod physically need to make the mon and tues non working days on teh golobal calander that would affect all resource, for it to work but this isnt really a solution for me

Thanks

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Project/microsoft.public.project/2008-10/msg00968.html

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Oh, here is my own attempt at a formula. but as i said it has its own problems!

([BCWS]/[Cost])*100

• Edited by gdallas Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:27 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid this is not doable with a formula (supposing different tasks have different calendars). One could program it in VBA using timscaleddata but from a formula I do not see it - sorry.

Greetings,

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:00 PM
  • HI Jan,

I "think" i have satisified my own requirments with the following simple formula: ([BCWS]/[Baseline Cost])*100

This appears to do exactly what i need, i.e report the planned progress should be.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:17 PM