PPS 2010: Extending PPS filter selection cache RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

As you all know PPS does save user's last filter selections for a particular dashboard (dashboard; not just one page but set of pages). Essentially, if you have three pages (pages created from Dashboard Designer) on your dashboard, filter selections you made on one page will be remembered when you navigate to any other two pages (provided you have used the same filters on each page).

I'm looking into extending this capability. My requirement is like I have to provide some kind of a mechanism to allow the user to save their current selections (basically saving filter selections on that page and that saved selection is going to be available across other pages). This functionality should give a user the ability to navigate to a page and look up for saved filter selections (something like a saved search) and select desired "selection" and load it. By doing that, all the filters would need to refresh with the saved selections and ultimately all the reports hooked up to these filters get refreshed.

PPS does not remember filter selections across dashboards, but this is fine (at least for now :) ) If saving selections across pages can be achieved then that would be a nice extension to current PPS caching mechanism.

I would really appreciate your expert input for this.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, October 1, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• Can someone from MSFT shed some light on this?

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:12 PM
  • I am assuming you are still using PPS 2007 correct?  In 2010 filters are not directly related to dashboards anymore and are simply another type of content that can be reused.

Sorry, should have read the title.  So you are saying that the values are not being saved across pages or dashboards when you reuse the exact same filter?  And this is in 2010?

Dan English's BI Blog

• Edited by Dan English Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:54 AM say thread title, added additional comment
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Hi Dan,

In PPS 2007, filter selections were remembered across pages but not across dashboards. What you said is correct, it's not the case in PPS 2010 as same filter can be used across pages/dashboards, thus filter selections are remembered across dashboards.

Our dashboard product currently in PPS 2007 and in the process of migrating over to PPS 2010. But, intention here is to first implement this extension to filter selection cache in PPS 2007 version. Then, if everything went well probably migrate the functionality to PPS 2010.

Appreciate if you can shed some light on this.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Something I thought might be useful. But would require serious thought before implementation as it would involve playing around with PerformancePoint Stored Procedures.

Here is an article which points to the procedure that retains default values for filters. If you could extend it by inserting/updating values per filter per dashboard page it might work.

I believe this is not supported by Microsoft.

Moreover here is a way to create your own filter. Perhaps that might be of some help.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:33 AM
  • Thanks Umair. I have gone thru both these articles earlier.

That's true, I would lose Microsoft support if I change anything in there. The other article really helps to build a custom filter, but not so with what I try to achieve here.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:39 PM