none
Changing Working Time Project 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• HI All

I have created a standard calendar 18 hour working day for a double shift project I am planning. I have used the change working time/options dialogue to change the standard calendar to these working hours, but when selecting the standard calendar for my activities it still seems to hold it to 12 hours working. Any ideas. All help gratefully received. Thank-you

GB

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi GB,

Did you follow the correct procedure ?Here are 2 links to help you:

• https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Set-working-times-vacations-and-holidays-for-your-project-8240adc0-692b-4d23-827b-a81fb560945d
    • http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/project-help/set-the-working-time-for-the-project-calendar-HP045295373.aspx

Also note that you have to go to the file/options/schedule and configure hours per days and week:

Finally I'd suggest to keep the standard calendar as is since it is the one used by default for any new resources and make a copy of this standard calendar to create a new one (call it "18hrs" for example).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Hi GB,

You need to make sure the project, resource and task calendar are all in sync. For example, if a resources works only 12 hrs/day and you have a task which uses a 18hr/day calendar MS Project will schedule only 12 hrs/day.

In the first screen shot I am using a 24hrs/day task calendar and same for the resource

and all 18 hrs are scheduled in the same day

Just changing the base calendar for the resource to standard (8hrs/day) the things will change

Also you may want to add the time when the task starts and this can be done in Tools > Options > View > Date format

Hope this helps

Paul

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:11 PM
  • May I suggest a slightly different approach? It seems to me that your 18 hours is two 9 hour shifts. I would create a calendar which will be assigned to the tasks (or it could be assigned as the project calendar) which allows the task to happen during that 18 hour period. But I would also create a day shift calendar and a night shift calendar, and i would then make my resources as day and night shift resources, eg " Day Shift Engineer 1", "Night Shift Engineer 1" etc.

Then I would give the day shift guy the day shift calendar and give the night shift guy the night shift calendar, and then I would assign both guys to the task.

I have done this many times and it works a treat. I hope this is clear.

Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:21 AM