ConfigMgr Console Can't connect to Site Database RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello, would like to seek some help.

I already have a working SCCM 2007 Server installed.  I have installed the Administrator Console onto a Windows 2003 Member Server.  However, when I tried launching the console from the Member Server, I'm getting this message:

The ConfigMgr console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database. Verify that this computer has network connectivity to the SMS Provider computer and that your user account has Remote Activation permissions on both the ConfigMgr site server and SMS Provider computers. For more information, see "How to Configure DCOM Permissions for Configuration Manager Console Connections" in ConfigMgr Help.

I have already added the correct permissions in DCOMCFG for the SMS Admins group, I have verified also that the account I'm using to open the console is a member of the SMS Admins group; I have verified also that the rights are correctly given to the user account.  Problem is, I still get that message.  But when I tried that on the SCCM 2007 Server, no problems nor errors encountered. 

Hope you can help me on this.  Thank you.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932213.aspx and the links at the end of the document.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:06 AM
  • I tried everything nothing worked

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:19 AM
  •  

anybody here from Microsoft to help out?
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:38 AM
  • Can you start the console on the server itself with the same user? Also have a look at \AdminUILog\SmsAdminUI.log.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 12:50 PM
  • yes tried that in the server itself it worked perfectly fine.  But with a member server, still no luck.

Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:12 AM
  • Hello,

Please can you capture the information in the
    SmsAdminUI.log of the member server you are connecting from and display?

Also, try doing this from another member server to determine if it is a localised or systemic error.

So far, I do not think we have enough information about your environment to properly - if we take your actions and assertions as given then the information given you to resolve the problem should have worked.

According to the links at the bottom of the reference given, try to check WMI permissions and also conduct a WBEMTEST assessment of you connectivity.

Regards,

Akin
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:21 PM
  •  

Here's the log:

[7][11/3/2008 6:30:54 AM] Tongue Tiedystem.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)\r\n
    [7][11/3/2008 6:30:54 AM] :Transport error; failed to connect, message: 'The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)'\r\nMicrosoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
    \r\nSystem.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)\r\n
    [7][11/3/2008 6:30:54 AM] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nThe ConfigMgr console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database. Verify that this computer has network connectivity to the SMS Provider computer and that your user account has Remote Activation permissions on both the ConfigMgr site server and SMS Provider computers. For more information, see "How to Configure DCOM Permissions for Configuration Manager Console Connections" in ConfigMgr Help.\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.BuildTreeWorker()\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
    \r\nMicrosoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
    \r\nSystem.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    [16][11/3/2008 6:35:07 AM] :Help topic not found in 'HelpTopicLinks.xml' for topic ID: '7e96e251-ed74-4905-87c0-77d082a5fa4d'
    [16][11/3/2008 6:35:54 AM] Tongue Tiedystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nNot found \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Boolean getObject)
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.get_wbemObject()
       at System.Management.PropertyData.RefreshPropertyInfo()
       at System.Management.PropertyDataCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.RefreshSiteControlFile(ManagementBaseObject managementObject)\r\nManagementException details:
    instance of __ExtendedStatus
    {
     Operation = "GetObject";
     ParameterInfo = "SMS_SCI_Component.FileType=2,ItemName=\"SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER|RYEMSSMSRSS\",ItemType=\"Component\",SiteCode=\"RY1\"";
     ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
    };
    \r\n
    [7][11/3/2008 6:36:54 AM] Tongue Tiedystem.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    [7][11/3/2008 6:36:54 AM] :Transport error; failed to connect, message: 'The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)'\r\nMicrosoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)
    [7][11/3/2008 6:36:54 AM] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nThe ConfigMgr console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database. Verify that this computer has network connectivity to the SMS Provider computer and that your user account has Remote Activation permissions on both the ConfigMgr site server and SMS Provider computers. For more information, see "How to Configure DCOM Permissions for Configuration Manager Console Connections" in ConfigMgr Help.\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.BuildTreeWorker()\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
    \r\nMicrosoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nThe RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)

Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Hello,

Your log is full of The RPC Server is unavailable errors, these need to be resolved before you can go any further.

This can be due a whole range of issues from permissions, firewalls, defining dynamic RPC ports on server etc.

Try to eliminate these issues using WBEMTEST to test connectivity, monitor connections between the stand-alone server and the server as well as other suggestions given meticulously.

Then let us know how you progress.

Regards,

Akin
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:39 PM
  • I was getting this error with my SCCM install done on a Windows 2008 server. I found that we had to change the Windows Firewall settings on the server to allow remote WMI requests. As soon as we did that, the console worked just fine. It's not an SCCM issue either lots of stuff out there referencing these RPC errors.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Any update to this? It's been a month now with no response to the suggestions.

Monday, December 8, 2008 1:38 AM
  • you can lock this thread. thanks

Monday, December 8, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Hi there,

I think I was running on the same problem on my XP SP 2 machine.
    After running WMIDIAG from Microsoft I find that my DCOM was not enable.

38023 13:16:57 (1) !! ERROR: DCOM Status: ................................................................................................. ERROR!
    38024 13:16:57 (1) !! ERROR: => The DCOM configuration on this computer is DISABLED.
    38025 13:16:57 (0) **    This prevents WMI to work correctly.
    38026 13:16:57 (0) **    You can fix the DCOM configuration by:
    38027 13:16:57 (0) **    - Executing the 'DCOMCNFG.EXE' command.
    38028 13:16:57 (0) **    - Expanding 'Component Services' and 'Computers' nodes.
    38029 13:16:57 (0) **    - Editing properties of 'My Computer' node.
    38030 13:16:57 (0) **    - Editing the 'Default properties' tab.
    38031 13:16:57 (0) **    - Activate the 'Enable Distributed COM on this computer' checkbox.
    38032 13:16:57 (0) **    From the command line, the DCOM configuration can be corrected with the following command:
    38033 13:16:57 (0) **    i.e. 'REG.EXE Add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole /v EnableDCOM /t REG_SZ /d Y /f'

try this out if it's not working for you download Wmidiag @ : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d7ba3cd6-18d1-4d05-b11e-4c64192ae97d&displaylang=en

Good luck.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:46 PM