Problem with Easy Transfer from Windows 8 to Windows 7 on same machine RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a dell xps machine that came with windows 8 and belongs to the university. The machine was used for about a month and the decision was made to use the university wide operating system. After using windows easy transfer to back up the contents of this machine to an external hard drive I changed the operating system to windows 7 enterprise, that the university supports. Now I am trying to transfer the data back to the machine and I get the error Windows Easy transfer couldn't open the file.  Windows 7 and 8 are both 64 bit.  

Dan
    Friday, August 30, 2013 1:11 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, Windows Easy Transfer in Windows 8 is not backward compatible with Windows 7.

Your best option is to reinstall Windows 8, restore the files then back them up manually.

Or go to a computer running Windows 8, create a user account and restore the files there then back them  up manually

i also found this but i can not guarantee this will work:

http://superuser.com/questions/491465/windows-8-to-windows-7-easy-transfer

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!

• Proposed as answer by Kamin of Ressik Friday, August 30, 2013 8:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dhutton71 Friday, August 30, 2013 9:37 PM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 1:14 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, Windows Easy Transfer in Windows 8 is not backward compatible with Windows 7.

Your best option is to reinstall Windows 8, restore the files then back them up manually.

Or go to a computer running Windows 8, create a user account and restore the files there then back them  up manually

i also found this but i can not guarantee this will work:

http://superuser.com/questions/491465/windows-8-to-windows-7-easy-transfer

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!

• Proposed as answer by Kamin of Ressik Friday, August 30, 2013 8:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dhutton71 Friday, August 30, 2013 9:37 PM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Thanks for confirming what I was afraid of and not smart enough to check for first. I am going with the windows 8 option. 

Thanks for your help

Dan

Friday, August 30, 2013 3:00 PM