none
SharePoint Online retention policy not working

Question

• I have a SharePoint discussion board where I have a column for "expires". I have setup an Information Management Policy to move items to the recycle bin on Expires+0 Days.

I am using SharePoint online and have been waiting for the items to be deleted for well over a month now. I know that both the timer jobs have run and nothing was removed.

Here are my retention policies: 

(policycts.aspx)

(policyconfig.aspx)

(expirationconfig.aspx)

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hi swalker,

In the expirationconfig.aspx, select "Content Type".

How did you check the timer jobs have run?

By default, Information management policy timer job and Expiration policy timer job run weekly and for SharePoint Online, timer jobs are controlled by Microsoft, you may need to wait until the timer jobs run.

As timer jobs are controlled by Microsoft in SharePoint Online, to test this issue fast, I have a test on my SharePoint 2013 On-premise with content type retention policy, after running the two timer jobs, the retention policy could work well. So, change "Library and Folders" to "Content Types" in your third image, and wait the two timer jobs for running.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi swalker,

In the expirationconfig.aspx, select "Content Type".

How did you check the timer jobs have run?

By default, Information management policy timer job and Expiration policy timer job run weekly and for SharePoint Online, timer jobs are controlled by Microsoft, you may need to wait until the timer jobs run.

As timer jobs are controlled by Microsoft in SharePoint Online, to test this issue fast, I have a test on my SharePoint 2013 On-premise with content type retention policy, after running the two timer jobs, the retention policy could work well. So, change "Library and Folders" to "Content Types" in your third image, and wait the two timer jobs for running.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Wendy,

I have changed the list to use "Content Type" retention policies. I am checking to see when the timer jobs are run by looking at the dlc_ExpirationLastRun and dlc_PolicyUpdateLastRun site parameters in SharePoint Designer.

I set this up back in January and have expiration dates of January 21, 2017. dlc_PolicyUpdateLastRun is 15 Apr 2017 08:43:42 -0000 and dlc_ExpirationLastRun is 15 Apr 2017 09:48:11 -0000. Everything with an expiration date of before April 15th should be deleted by now.

I will wait until these two parameters change before making any more changes.

Friday, April 21, 2017 12:30 PM
  • Hi swalker,

How did you make your retention policies to run correctly ? By changing it to Content Type, did it run successfully ?  Please let me know in case you have activated any site feature for this. Thanks

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:31 AM
  • Simply changing to Content Type worked.
    • Proposed as answer by Mukti Ranjan Tuesday, June 06, 2017 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:56 PM
  • Still cannot get this working, driving me mad!

by default expirationconfig.aspx is already set to 'content types' for me

tried this on two different SPO tenancies, just wont transfer a non record or record to record center site collection, waited over 3 weeks now.

Any advise, greatly received.

cheers

J

J R Vose

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:08 PM
  • Hello, did you ever find a fix for the policies not working?

I have exactly the same issue

thanks

James

J R Vose

Monday, October 09, 2017 3:01 PM