Upgrade question RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to upgrade from Vista Pre-Release of RC1 to RC1 I get an error that says I need to uninstall HP Protect Tool. I don't know what that program is. What do I need to do to uninstall this program so I can upgrade Vista? Thanks.
    Friday, September 15, 2006 12:58 AM

All replies

• I have one more question. When upgrading, how do I know which OS it is upgrading? Thanks.
    Friday, September 15, 2006 12:44 PM
  • As far as I know the Upgrade option is only supported from XPSP2 to Vista RC1 or from Beta2 ( after applying all available Windows-Updates ) to RC1.

So Pre-RC1 to RC1 could be a no-go.You can try, but don't blame anyone if it's not working.

"how do I know which OS it is upgrading ?" -

it will update the Windows Version you are in the moment using, when you start Vista's setup-process.

Example : you boot XP, insert VistaDVD and choose update, than it will update XP to Vista.

If you choose another partition to install Vista on, it will not update, but REPLACE the possible residing Windows on that partition. For updating you MUST boot the previous Version and do it from within a working Windows.

SBJ

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:39 PM