WSUS - Surface drivers ONLY RRS feed

• Question

• According to this blog, providing drivers and firmware to Surface devices is now possible.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/beanexpert/2016/03/25/surface-3pro-4book-updates-available-in-wsus/

But, in order to provide those drivers, you need to enable these products and classifications:

Product: Windows 10 and later drivers or Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers 
    Classification: Drivers

I don't know about you, but I haven't had much luck keeping WSUS stable when enabling that classification, along with any OS driver product.   Not to mention the GBs of data consumed by all the needed driver update files.

Is there anyway (or coming changes to enable this ability) to enable ONLY Surface drivers for Windows 10?

Can they be imported into WSUS manually and delivered to clients without enabling the download of all the files that would come from enabling those options above?

Thanks,

-Matt

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Edited by Matt5150 Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:49 PM br adds
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>Is there anyway (or coming changes to enable this ability) to enable ONLY Surface drivers for Windows 10?

No .

>>Can they be imported into WSUS manually and delivered to clients without enabling the download of all the files that would come from enabling those options above?

Yes , I'd prefer this way  (via using "import updates" in wsus console ).

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:27 AM
    • Edited by Elton_Ji Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:33 AM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Is there any update ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Your edit makes your reply more clear.

You're suggesting I import them manually using this process?  (New to me, wasn't aware you could do this)

1. In the WSUS admin console, navigate to the Update Services/WSUSSERVER/Updates tree, right-click and click "Import Updates...".

2. Search and find the update.

3. Add to basket.

4. View basket.

5. Check Import directly into Windows Server Updates Services

6. Click Import.

7. The ActiveX performs the API calls to import the metadata and the update to the WSUS installation.

-Matt

• Edited by Matt5150 Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:47 PM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:47 PM
  • <STRIKE>Problem I'm noticing, is that with the updates to the Update Catalog, all the ActiveX basket stuff is now gone.</STRIKE>

I think I figured it out.  I was trying to do this on a Win10 machine from the WSUS MMC.  Tried it on the server and the basket function is there.

I'll give this a try, but this looks like a PITA way to do it. :(

-Matt

• Edited by Matt5150 Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:56 PM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:50 PM