Boundaries are getting sucked into new 2012 environment RRS feed

• Question

• In the process of migrating from 2007 to 2012. Boundaries are getting pulled into my 2012 environment but I'm not sure how. The discovery is only doing system, groups and users... and I don't think any of these pull in boundaries. I had NOT done a migration of the boundaries however they appeared as read-only and I was limited to what I could do with them. I deleted them and then ran the migration of boundaries. The migration worked fine however several hours later these read-only boundaries appeared again. What is configured in 2012 that is pulling these boundaries in and how can I get it to stop?

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:16 PM

Answers

• You might have done the following:

1. On Administration - Migration - Source Hierarchy, click on the targeted primary site
    2. Right click - Configure
    3. On the bottom, Check "Enable D.P. Sharing for this source site."

When you enable "Shared DP" feature on Source Hierarchy:

1. All DPs will be listed as "read-only": Yes
    2. All boundaries and boundary groups will be automatically created/sync'ed every 4 hours (Default Migration Data Gathering Interval)
    3. Boundary groups are usually named as "(slow) Boundary group for distribution point XXX (\\ServerName)" with Read-only: YES

On the new SCCM 2012, "Boundary" types have been split into 2:

• Site Assignment Boundary Group (SABG)
    • Content Location Boundary Groups (CLBG)

As the names stated, CLBG is just to make the client find out which DP to go to download the content and this auto-generated boundaries are CLBG related.

If you just turn Shared DP feature off and delete all boundary, they won't be coming back.

But if you are planning to Migrate existing DP over (without re-copying 100GB size of content), you still need to enable "Shared DP" to make them at least get listed to right click - Upgrade later.

YPae

• Proposed as answer by YPae Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:02 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:37 PM

All replies

• I also read below... But I only have 1 primary and 2 dp's that a completely seperate from 2007.

During migration, if you share a distribution point with the destination hierarchy, any boundaries that are associated with that distribution automatically migrate to the destination hierarchy. In the destination hierarchy, migration creates a new read-only boundary group for each shared distribution point. If you change the boundaries for the distribution point in the source hierarchy, the boundary group in the destination hierarchy updates with these changes during the next data gathering cycle.

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:21 PM
  • what do you mean by your client getting sucked into cm12? are the clients showing as assigned to cm12? what boundaries are you using on cm07 vs cm12? discovery and boundary are 2 separate things.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:32 AM
  • I didn't mention anything about clients. It's the boundaries that are coming in as read only.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Boundaries can be discovered in CM12 vai AD forest discovery methods.

Discover Infrastructure - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712308.aspx#BKMK_DecideMethod
    There are two methods that you can use to discover network infrastructure, Active Directory Forest Discovery and Network Discovery.

You can use Active Directory Forest Discovery to search an Active Directory forest for information about subnets and Active Directory site configurations. These configurations can then be automatically entered into Configuration Manager as boundary locations.

When you want to discover your network topology, use Network Discovery. While other discovery methods return information related to Active Directory Domain Services and can identify the current network location of a client, they do not provide infrastructure information based on the subnets and router topology of your network.

Nick Moseley | http://t3chn1ck.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:27 AM
  • Yes I was aware of this. That is why I stated the only thing I've configured in discovery is users, groups and systems. It's odd, I don't see what is configured that would be pulling these in.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:59 PM
  • You might have done the following:

1. On Administration - Migration - Source Hierarchy, click on the targeted primary site
    2. Right click - Configure
    3. On the bottom, Check "Enable D.P. Sharing for this source site."

When you enable "Shared DP" feature on Source Hierarchy:

1. All DPs will be listed as "read-only": Yes
    2. All boundaries and boundary groups will be automatically created/sync'ed every 4 hours (Default Migration Data Gathering Interval)
    3. Boundary groups are usually named as "(slow) Boundary group for distribution point XXX (\\ServerName)" with Read-only: YES

On the new SCCM 2012, "Boundary" types have been split into 2:

• Site Assignment Boundary Group (SABG)
    • Content Location Boundary Groups (CLBG)

As the names stated, CLBG is just to make the client find out which DP to go to download the content and this auto-generated boundaries are CLBG related.

If you just turn Shared DP feature off and delete all boundary, they won't be coming back.

But if you are planning to Migrate existing DP over (without re-copying 100GB size of content), you still need to enable "Shared DP" to make them at least get listed to right click - Upgrade later.

YPae

• Proposed as answer by YPae Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:02 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:37 PM