none
Stopping Windows 10 apps from running (xbox, candy crush) on a domain

Question

• Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I am an IT technician working in a school. We had some machines that were on the domain updated to windows 10. 

We have a server, windows server 2008 R2 (DC) running but I am having trouble with stopping programs being used like candy crush, xbox and such services. Kids are over the moon but from an IT and educational point of view this isn't great. So the question is. Can I stop these apps from being downloaded and being used and if not does anybody have a script that I could use in a group policy to disable this feature?

Many Thanks in advance.

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Jacques,

You probably need to take a look at the Group Policy settings under the path below:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Store

1. Disable all apps from Windows Store - This turns off the launch of all apps from the Windows Store that came pre-installed or were downloaded. Apps will not be updated.

2. Turn off the Store application - If you enable this setting, access to the Store application is denied. Access to the Store is required for installing app updates.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Jacques,

You probably need to take a look at the Group Policy settings under the path below:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Store

1. Disable all apps from Windows Store - This turns off the launch of all apps from the Windows Store that came pre-installed or were downloaded. Apps will not be updated.

2. Turn off the Store application - If you enable this setting, access to the Store application is denied. Access to the Store is required for installing app updates.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:48 AM
  • Hi Ethan

I would also like to stop "imposed" games running on my single PC. But I cannot find "store" under "windows components".

(I presume the reason is not that I am not in any group, because I could use the group policy e.g. to stop spontaneous windows update downloads and installation)

Why do I not see the xbox app running in task manager?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Petr

Monday, January 04, 2016 12:20 PM
  • Will this kill things, like the new calculator app too?
    Monday, April 25, 2016 3:11 PM
  • what do you do when the \Store is not available? In my environment, we have 3 AD servers, two 08R2, and 1 12R2. I am working on the 12R2, but it shows (Policyname[AD08R2server2.domain.com] policy) like it isn't being created on this server, so the Win 10 options are not available...?
    Wednesday, October 05, 2016 8:55 PM
  • Sounds like you need to create a central store. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087759

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Petr -

from experience, it is not a good idea to stop XBOX from running, to stop the app, or uninstall it. I made that mistake once and had to reinstall the entire OS on a surface.

There are ways around to hide them running a powershell command. Those you will have to look up. I think I found them on howtogeek.com

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Re-Install due to disabling XBOX....

well, isn't that simply ridiculous.

WHO really owns YOUR computer?

Saturday, December 09, 2017 12:22 AM
  • I wish you luck.

I would love to disable all the 'crap' Microsoft is forcing on our computers. I did not buy my computer to be treated as a toy or an extension of Microsoft.

Candy Crush, Xbox, Location services, personal data scooping, Edge..etc etc. Many are childish. Some just plain rubbish and others very security dangerous.

Now as bad as Google but worse as it is being done at O.S. level.

Would NEVER buy a Chromebook for that reason and I discourage Chromebook to all my clients.

Saturday, December 09, 2017 12:31 AM
  • I have a similar question. I want to allow the store to run. I want to allow auto app updates. I don't want to remove apps from any image. I DO want to pick and choose certain apps to be disabled via a GPO.

For example, I feel the Mail app can cause confusion because it is duplicative to Outlook. 

I also want to hide/remove (via GPO) the Get Office app. 

I actually love the app model for Windows 10 since in general, apps are more secure and more granular than traditional Win32 programs. So, I don't have issues with them being preloaded as long as there is an on/off switch.

So, how do I disable/hide apps via GPO?

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:39 PM