none
Change DPM Replica Path Possible? Secondary DPM Server Looking for Incorrect Path RRS feed

• Question

• I have been racking my brain and DPM forums for a way to get a around a problem I am having. I am trying to change the DPM replica volume path/location, is there a way to change this via PowerShell? The problems is, I have two DPM servers, one is a primary and one is a secondary (offsite DR). I had to recreate the protection group on the primary server so it created a new volume path. The secondary server is still looking for the old replica/volume path instead of the new path to sync from. I have looked everywhere to see if its possible to change this path but I cant seem to find anything. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help possible!

Monday, October 18, 2010 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hi sixth!

I don't think you can change that with PowerShell since the relpica path is choosen when you create the protection group. You can try this:

1. Modify the protection group that the former protected memeber is/was a memeber of. If that doesn't work try step nr 2
    2. Stop the protection of the protected member and recreate it.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi sixth!

I don't think you can change that with PowerShell since the relpica path is choosen when you create the protection group. You can try this:

1. Modify the protection group that the former protected memeber is/was a memeber of. If that doesn't work try step nr 2
    2. Stop the protection of the protected member and recreate it.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

• Hi,

There is no way to simply 'repoint' the old secundary protection to new.

Recreate secundary protection for that group with manual replication and move the context of old to new and then remove old on secundary.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
  • Ruud and Robert, Thank you very much for the response.

Robert---

1. When I try to do this DPM wants to create a completely new replica, it doesn't automatically notice that there is already data in place for this server and wants to allocate a new replica. Edit- I just thought about this, not sure what effect it will have on the data already there, if I modify the group like you said, remove the offending member and updating the group. I wonder if that will remove the recovery data? Then go back and readd that member....havent ried this yet any experience doing this?

2. If I stop protection of this server and try to recreate it, I a. will not have enough space to create a new group b. the new group does not "see" that it was a former protected group and continue on protection with the retained data, at least I have never gotten it to work that way.

Ruud---

1. When you say recreate seconday protection for that group and move the context of the old to new, how would you do this? I tried something similiar to this method in the past and never had good success. What method would you recommend?

Thank you both!

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". Either the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios and will be marked as answer, or this post will be marked as answer in order to close the thread. Feel free to re-open the thread if you have additional information about this specific case or to open a new thread for a new case. In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks,

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:55 AM