WSUS 6.2.9200. Most Windows 8 machines not reporting. Every single machine says I have multiple updates needed however I don't see them on the client. RRS feed

• Question

• I have two somewhat separate issues. #1 is more concerning than #2 at the moment. Would like to fix them both though.

#1 Majority of my Win 8 boxes (16 out of 20) are not reporting to WSUS. They have not since the beginning of July. When I log into a machine I can eventually get it to sync up.  But it often takes me several tries. Often I have to restart the update client. 

None of my Win 7 boxes are experiencing this. I tried turning off my anti-virus but it doesn't appear to have any effect. I would prefer not to have to go to each machine and do it manually. 

I have this error 
    "Many client computers have not reported back to the server in the last 30 days. 23 have been detected so far.". The number actually used to be higher until I started working the problem. I can't find anything worthwhile on google on it.

#2 Every single machine has a multitude of "Updates needed". However when I go to the client and try to look up updates it doesn't find anything. Tells me everything is "up to date". 

It appears that there is a huge difference between the Updates needed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines. Most of the Windows 7 machines are missing between 20-40 updates. However even the Windows 8 machines that are reporting are all missing between 300-600 updates. 

I read on google this could be because the updates are either not available or have not been approved. I checked on the wsus dashboard and it says 0 for "Updates needing files". I have been auto approving everything from day 1 and only recently started having this problem. I've never manually approved anything. 

---------------------------------------

I really appreciate any help I get on this ahead of time. I may have to spend $300 on a technical Microsoft call. 

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi matveevn,

1. Please test if win8 clients could update from MU, you may test on one Win8 client;

2. On the WSUS server, please run Server Cleanup Wizard and re-index WSUS database:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

3. If win8 clients do not contact to WSUS server more than 30 days, it might be cleanup when we run SCW, since the WSUS gpo settings wont' disappear, we may check if these clients could appear and report to WSUS later;

4. On the WSUS server, also run cd /d C:\program files\update services\tools>wsusutil reset

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 7:40 AM

All replies

• I have two somewhat separate issues. #1 is more concerning than #2 at the moment. Would like to fix them both though.

#1 Majority of my Win 8 boxes (16 out of 20) are not reporting to WSUS. They have not since the beginning of July. When I log into a machine I can eventually get it to sync up.  But it often takes me several tries. Often I have to restart the update client. 

None of my Win 7 boxes are experiencing this. I tried turning off my anti-virus but it doesn't appear to have any effect. I would prefer not to have to go to each machine and do it manually. 

I have this error 
    "Many client computers have not reported back to the server in the last 30 days. 23 have been detected so far.". The number actually used to be higher until I started working the problem. I can't find anything worthwhile on google on it.

#2 Every single machine has a multitude of "Updates needed". However when I go to the client and try to look up updates it doesn't find anything. Tells me everything is "up to date". 

It appears that there is a huge difference between the Updates needed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines. Most of the Windows 7 machines are missing between 20-40 updates. However even the Windows 8 machines that are reporting are all missing between 300-600 updates. 

I read on google this could be because the updates are either not available or have not been approved. I checked on the wsus dashboard and it says 0 for "Updates needing files". I have been auto approving everything from day 1 and only recently started having this problem. I've never manually approved anything. 

---------------------------------------

I really appreciate any help I get on this ahead of time. I may have to spend $300 on a technical Microsoft call. 

The only thing I can think of is there are two types of updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8 updates. One is the 64 bit version and the other is the 32 bit version. It could be you are approving just the 32 bit version or 64 bit version due to the number of updates needed. Check your declined updates to see if there are any Windows 7 or Windows 8 updates that have been declined.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:54 PM
  • Checking now.

Thank you for replying :) !!!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Update:

#2 appears to indeed have something to do with Updates needing approval. I was able to knock the numbers down quite a bit by declining a few. I'm running more tests but I doubt I will find anything contradictory.

#1 is still a total puzzle for me however. Otherwise I would have marked antwesor's answer as "Mark as answer". 

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:22 PM
  • Hi matveevn,

1. Please test if win8 clients could update from MU, you may test on one Win8 client;

2. On the WSUS server, please run Server Cleanup Wizard and re-index WSUS database:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

3. If win8 clients do not contact to WSUS server more than 30 days, it might be cleanup when we run SCW, since the WSUS gpo settings wont' disappear, we may check if these clients could appear and report to WSUS later;

4. On the WSUS server, also run cd /d C:\program files\update services\tools>wsusutil reset

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 7:40 AM
  • Can I run this script even though I'm using 6.2.9200 not 3.0? 

Thank you for your help btw. 

Monday, October 24, 2016 1:00 PM
  • Hi matveevn,

>Can I run this script even though I'm using 6.2.9200 not 3.0? 

Yes. The detailed progress is as below:

On WSUS 2012 (R2), we may use the following method to reindex WSUS database:

1.Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

2. In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3. Cope the script and store it locally:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61#content

4. In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i <script location>

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:23 AM
  • Hi matveevn,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, welcome to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:18 AM