none
Issues/Notes Upgrading to DPM 2010 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Years ago, we purchased a Dell Powervault DP500 (rebranded PowerEdge 2950 III), which came with Windows Storage Server 2003 and Data Protection Manager 2007 SP1. As we began to plan migration to Server 2008 R2 and products like Exchange 2010, we obviously needed to start with upgrading our backup solution to Data Protection Manager 2010 in order to backup the newer products.

I plug my Windows Server 2008 R2 media into the server, and boot to the installer, only to recieve this error a few prompts in:

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have
    a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or UBS flash drive, please insert it now.

Many days were spent chasing this error down. For many, there was a problem with the .iso integrity, or various driver problems, or perahps BIOS settings. None of these seemed to apply to me, especially since my PERC 6/i Integrated RAID Controller had baked in drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2.

It was only today that I solved this problem. The virtual drives that hosted the partitions DPM used for backup had around 50 small partitions used for the various protection groups. This is normal behavior, except for the fact that installer does not anticipate this kind of behavior. The installer's logic assigns driver letters to hard drives before optical media/USB drives (both methods failed for me), and thus ran out of letters before it could assign more to the CD/DVD or USB Drive.

Final solution: I destroyed the virtual drives containing the many small partitions used for the DPM Protection groups, and booted the installation media (USB drive, in this case) just fine.

I hope this helps someone from wasting as many hours as I did.

Cheers,
    Aaron

• Edited by Shroomius Monday, May 17, 2010 8:29 PM clarified language
    Monday, May 17, 2010 7:19 PM

All replies

• Just a suggestion if somebody is facing the same problem, one could disconnect the disks that are having the DPM volumes. Once the OS is installed you can bring back the disks as they were before OS re-install. This way you could have retained the replica volumes and recovery points on Disks.
    Praveen D [MSFT]
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:17 PM