FOPE content filtering / smart hosts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

In my current mail set-up I have an Exchange 2007 Server which redirects certain mail (based upon MIME headers & file extensions) to a third party server.  The server deals with this mail as appropriate and then passes back to Exchange with another MIME header.  The routing is achieved using a Transport Agent installed on the hub transport servers. 

We are looking to move to Office 365 - I am under the impression I would be unable to install the transport agent here?  Therefore I would like to know if it is possible to achieve a similar thing with FOPE's content filtering, sending certain mails to this third party server based upon MIME/file type?

I want to avoid creating inbound/outbound connectors for ALL mail as we do not require all emails to flow through this other server.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

J

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you are right you can't install any agents in Office365/FOPE. With policyrules you can't redirect emails with specific MIME headers or file extensions through another server.

The only way I see is to keep your local Exchange only with the HT role to do this job and then forward it to O365.

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.  The only alternative I guess is to actually pass all inbound/outbound mail through this other server and have the mx record pointing there?

Looking online it seems possible to create inbound/outbound connectors to/from FOPE?

J

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

I don't see another way than pointing your MX record to the filtering server and then forward it to O365.

In FOPE you can create in- and outbound connectors, these you can use to whitelist or route outbound emails over specific servers.

More details about connectors here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg749883.aspx

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:00 PM