Windows VPN disconnects for seemingly no reason RRS feed

• Question

• I am a Jr. Network Administrator and we are currently using an L2TP VPN connection going from our satellite sites to our corporate office. The VPN will connect just fine, and work for some time. However, randomly throughout the day, our satellite locations will lose connection. I have verified that they did not lose internet at the time of the disconnect, I verified the threshold for idle connection is more than 30 minutes which should be plenty of time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. :)

Friday, July 1, 2016 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that VPN randomly disconnect on Windows 7, and reconnect works with no error.

Check to see if this problem also happened on specific physical devices, or, specific network which the client located on.

Since it is a randomly problem, check on both client and server sides, if any related event has been logged when this problem happened? 

Make sure that both client and server are update to data with Windows Update, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues, and improving the performance.

If the problem persists, any change before this problem happened? What is the OS version of your Windows VPN?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 7:02 AM

All replies

• Are there any events in the event viewer at either end to give more clues?

Assuming a Windows VPN?

Really, a VPN is only as good as all the links/equipment between the sites.  If one end is in Hong Kong and the other in London that tunnel passes through a great many pieces of equipment along the way, and there is no guarantee it would be any different if they were across the street from each other.

One think you might try is a router to router (firewall to firewall) VPN or a mobile VPN client that matches the router/firewall.  Should be more robust than a Widows VPN.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, July 1, 2016 9:52 PM
  • Larry,

Thank you for your response. I agree that the equipment we are using may not be ideal, but for the size of our company, this is the best solution we have in place. I did come up with a solution where the connection will redial if a disconnect is detected. (We have users that we don't trust to do it manually. :)

Once it detects the disconnect, it runs a vbscript that initiates the VPN connection again and it connect just fine. :) I was just hoping to find anyone who has come across this issue before themselves.

The weird thing is that it didn't happen when we were using Windows XP, but as soon as Windows 7 came around it went downhill from there. Now that I have the script in place we are good, but if you come across the answer on why it changed from Windows XP to 7, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

jay_the_it_guy

Friday, July 1, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that VPN randomly disconnect on Windows 7, and reconnect works with no error.

Check to see if this problem also happened on specific physical devices, or, specific network which the client located on.

Since it is a randomly problem, check on both client and server sides, if any related event has been logged when this problem happened? 

Make sure that both client and server are update to data with Windows Update, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues, and improving the performance.

If the problem persists, any change before this problem happened? What is the OS version of your Windows VPN?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 7:02 AM