Computer Slow, Disk Check Not Working, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to figure out this problem that I've been having for several days now, even looking things up and reading other forums, but I can't seem to find others with this problem. 

My computer has been very slow with everything including startup, loading files, opening the internet, typing, etc. I don't have a full disk memory (or whatever it's called). It's actually not even half way full. So it's not caused by having too much stuff on my computer. And it's not 'too old' because i only got it exactly a year ago around this time. I tried unchecking things in the msconfig: startup tab and that didn't help. I tried downloading Malwarebytes and running a scan to see if i have any viruses, but it found nothing, and i don't recall going on anything that would have given me one. I tried the disk defragmentation thing but that didn't work/help. 

The only thing i haven't done is the disk check (that you program to preform when you restart your computer), because every time i try to do it, it will do the countdown where i can press a key to stop it, then it says that windows will now check my disk, but then it doesn't do anything. I've tried leaving it go for at least 15 minutes to a half an hour, thinking maybe it just needs some time, but it remains the same and doesn't check the disk. I think that if it could actually run the disk check, it might solve my problem, but first i need some help or advice on what i should do.

Also, i don't know if this will help, but i did have to do a system recovery maybe a month or two ago due to a very bad virus, so i have noticed since i have done that, the disk check hasn't run regularly (on like a weekly basis). so this is the first time i'm trying to run it since then and it won't work.
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:18 AM

Answers