none
Project 2010 Pro Timeline View Corrupted After SP1 Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have just had the timeline view in a project revert to a blank timeline (basic dates only) on a project I am running. Checking out Project 2010 Trial version. I had previously hit the limit on number of tasks that could be added to the timeline view and having applied the appropriate patch that was resolved.

I applied the Office 2010 SP1 update yesterday (using Office 2003 on this PC).

Last action before corruption was to save a filtered selection of tasks as an excel 2003 file. This did throw up an excel error / crash.

Noticed that task values on ID 402 out of 406 was reset. Project file otherwiase seems OK

Can I get this view back quickly?

Is there likely to be other file corruption - concerned about previous file corruption observed on 2007? Thinking 2010 would have resolved previous file corruption issues.

Thanks in advance

Martyn  

Friday, July 1, 2011 7:41 AM

Answers

• Bandolier - I'm seeing the same issue as you and it isn't related to SP1. The issue is when you save a Project to Excel (.xls or .xlsx), all the tasks are removed from the timeline. To get around this issue:

1. Open the mpp of the project you want to save to Excel
    2. Make any changes and click Save (to still save the mpp)
    3. Click Save As and select Excel to save to Excel. At this point your timeline will become blank.
    4. Close the project without saving.
    5. Re-open the project. Your timeline should be populated again with tasks.

Thanks,

Heather

Friday, July 1, 2011 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Martyn,

Seems your Timeline has gone corrupted due to some other reason then MS Office SP1. You remove this timeline and readd a new one :

1. Remove it from the view by going to the View tab-> Split View group -> un-check timeline.

2. Click on the File – Organizer and delete Timeline from the right side box while selecting the current project from the dropdown below.

3. Click on the View tab -> Split View group -> check Timeline.

You can run Cummulative Updates for the Project, it has resolved corrupted timeline issues : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2075992/

You can check for what all updates get done for Project when MS Office SP1 is run : Download the Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 Changes.xlsx package now. (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/1/2/512CC712-4070-4CFF-BC4A-B3AFF0E21A1E/Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 Changes.xlsx)

Sapna S
    Friday, July 1, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Hi Sapna,

Thanks for your reply. I have simply recreated the timeline as I had already installed the relevant hot fixes.

I am VERY concerned that the underlying project task information had been changed - possibly by saving a view from the project as an excel 2003 file - or through some other mechanism. Corruption either way and NOT GOOD!

Is there anyone who can share some insights into what is being done by MS to eliminate project file corruption?

Kind regards

Martyn

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Bandolier - I'm seeing the same issue as you and it isn't related to SP1. The issue is when you save a Project to Excel (.xls or .xlsx), all the tasks are removed from the timeline. To get around this issue:

1. Open the mpp of the project you want to save to Excel
    2. Make any changes and click Save (to still save the mpp)
    3. Click Save As and select Excel to save to Excel. At this point your timeline will become blank.
    4. Close the project without saving.
    5. Re-open the project. Your timeline should be populated again with tasks.

Thanks,

Heather

Friday, July 1, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for the suggested work around Heather. I will do as you suggest in future.

Guess that you will raise a bug fix request to address the issue?

Many thanks

Martyn

Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:37 AM