none
IMAP and Outlook 2013: How to fix folders that do not sync--"(This computer only)"

Question

• Hi all.  I have my email account added to Outlook (2013).  All of my folders are present, and synced properly with my email server, except for one folder.  It has the text "(This computer only)" appended to its folder name, and does not appear in the folder directory on my web server--i.e. it does not appear to sync properly.  How can I resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:20 AM

Answers

• >> Are you sure that a sync has actually taken place? Just to be absolutely certain, if you do a manual Send/Receive does it change anything? (also making sure that your are operating in "online" mode)

I tried this, but it did not change anything.

I did not try any of your other suggestions.  I know they would have been illuminating, but they were considerably more involved than the solution I eventually used:  I simply created new folders in Outlook, moved my emails there, and deleted the folders labeled "This Computer Only."  This seems to have worked.

I appreciate all of your help.

• Marked as answer by cagross99 Friday, April 7, 2017 11:24 AM
    Friday, April 7, 2017 11:24 AM

All replies

• Hi all.  I have my email account added to Outlook (2013).  All of my folders are present, and synced properly with my email server, except for one folder.  It has the text "(This computer only)" appended to its folder name, and does not appear in the folder directory on my web server--i.e. it does not appear to sync properly.  How can I resolve this?

Typically means that you added the folder to the root of the data file instead of the <root> of the Imap folder tree on the server - generally under the <Inbox>. Alternative is to simply add the folder by logging into your account via Webmail and add the folder there at which point it will sync down to Outlook desktop

No folder that has the words "This computer only" will sync with the server.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I understand your suggestion to add the folder via webmail so it will sync down to Outlook.  But the unsynced folder in Outlook currently contains emails.  If I add a folder of the same name in webmail, what will happen to those Outlook emails?
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I understand your suggestion to add the folder via webmail so it will sync down to Outlook.  But the unsynced folder in Outlook currently contains emails.  If I add a folder of the same name in webmail, what will happen to those Outlook emails?

First - the folders will not be the same name, one will have "This Computer Only" in the name and the other will not. Just rename the "This Computer Only" folder to something completely different if you're concerned.

Once you have the folder added to your email account and it's sync'd down, copy the email items from the local folder to the newly created folder. Just to be sure, the reason the "This Computer Only" folder has email items is because you moved items to that folder manually - correct?

To copy the items from one folder to another

- Open the "old" folder
    - select all items using CTRL+A
    - right-click highlighted items --> select <Move> --> select either <Other Folder> or <Copy to folder> --> select destination folder
    *** I recommend selecting <Copy to Folder> in case something goes wrong for any reason. This way original items won't be deleted. When the copy is completed and you've verified everuthing has been copied, you can dellete the original folder

If you have a lot of items in the source folder, suggest that you set Outlook to work in <offline mode> before starting the copy process to avoid the sync process from starting during the copy process. When done, set Outlook back to online mode and then do a manual Send/Receive to force the sync process with the server.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:47 AM
  • OK understood on all, thanks.  But when I try to carry out these steps, I encounter another issue, which is probably related.  The directory structures of Outlook and Webmail do not match, especially for the folders in-question.  Here is a side-by-side comparison of the directory structures in Outlook and Webmail.  The bottom is the Outlook directory structure, and is the "correct" structure (i.e. the structure I intend the directories to have).  In it, you can see that the "content audit" folder is inside the "SEO" folder which is inside the "website-horizonhomes-samui" folder.  But in webmail, the "content audit" folder is inside the "website-horizonhomes-samui" folder, but outside the "SEO" folder.  How should I resolve this, and more importantly, how does this happen?  Shouldn't my IMAP configuration ensure that these two directory structures are identical?

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Here is a side-by-side comparison of the directory structures in Outlook and Webmail.  The bottom is the Outlook directory structure, and is the "correct" structure (i.e. the structure I intend the directories to have). 

#1 - Images (folder structure) are too small to read and too blurry when zoomed in

#2 - The above aside, from what I can see, more then a little puzzled by the question given that this thread referenced an issue only involving a single "This Computer Only" folder which also stated everything else was fine.

#3 - The Outlook folder structure (in the OST file) should be a mirror what what is found on the server once the accounts sync'd. Don't know the reason for any discrepancies so will have to leave that to someone else especially given that you also state that it's the server folder structure that's incorrect (or alternatively, the Outlook folder structure is right). Can't speak to server issues.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:08 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

>> Images (folder structure) are too small to read and too blurry when zoomed in

They looked OK to me when zoomed in.  But I've now removed them.

>> The above aside, from what I can see, more then a little puzzled by the question given that this thread referenced an issue only involving a single "This Computer Only" folder which also stated everything else was fine.

I am asking this new question in this thread because I cannot carry out your instructions due to this new issue.  I will create a new topic regarding this issue.  Let's keep this open until that is resolved.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:21 PM

• I am asking this new question in this thread because I cannot carry out your instructions due to this new issue.  I will create a new topic regarding this issue.  Let's keep this open until that is resolved.

Just to confirm something - have you "subscribed" to all the server folders in Outlook?
    (right-click on the root of the IMAP data store in the Outlook Nav Pane --> select <IMAP Folders)

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:39 PM
  • I just checked.  I am indeed 'subscribed' to the folder in-question ("content audit sitemap issue").  BUT, when I view my IMAP folders in this manner, the folder structure matches the structure in Webmail, *not* the structure in Outlook.  I have attached a screenshot of my IMAP folders--can you see it?  In other words, in Webmail I created the folder "content audit sitemap issue," and it appears in the Webmail directory structure.  That folder does NOT appear in my Outlook normal view, but DOES appear in Outlook if I view "IMAP folders."  This is the issue I am facing now--I created a folder in Webmail but it is not displaying in my normal view in Outlook.

I have also checked Webmail, and confirmed that I am "subscribed" to all folders in-question.

Thanks.

• Edited by cagross99 Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:53 PM
  • That folder does NOT appear in my Outlook normal view, but DOES appear in Outlook if I view "IMAP folders."  This is the issue I am facing now--I created a folder in Webmail but it is not displaying in my normal view in Outlook.

Then two final questions

#1 - Are you sure that a sync has actually taken place? Just to be absolutely certain, if you do a manual Send/Receive does it change anything? (also making sure that your are operating in "online" mode)

#2 - If you move an item into one of these folders and do a sync, does it change anything?

Beyond the above, not sure what else I can offeer.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:09 PM
  • That folder does NOT appear in my Outlook normal view, but DOES appear in Outlook if I view "IMAP folders."  This is the issue I am facing now--I created a folder in Webmail but it is not displaying in my normal view in Outlook.

Two other things that I suggest that you try

#1 - Rename the OST file for the IMAP account so that Outlook will recreate everything the next time you start Outlook (this will exclude there being any kind of issues with the ost file itself)

#2 - If the above doesn't work - create a new Outlook profile via the Control Panel <Mail> app and configure the IMAP account. Make sure to set the newly created profile as the default for the next time Outlook is opened. Purpose of this exercise is to eliminate the possibility of the original profile being corrupted.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:36 PM
  • >> Are you sure that a sync has actually taken place? Just to be absolutely certain, if you do a manual Send/Receive does it change anything? (also making sure that your are operating in "online" mode)

I tried this, but it did not change anything.

I did not try any of your other suggestions.  I know they would have been illuminating, but they were considerably more involved than the solution I eventually used:  I simply created new folders in Outlook, moved my emails there, and deleted the folders labeled "This Computer Only."  This seems to have worked.

I appreciate all of your help.

• Marked as answer by cagross99 Friday, April 7, 2017 11:24 AM
    Friday, April 7, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Yikes. For other readers, don't rename your OST file if you have messages in it that aren't synced to the server.  You will lose them.  If you really need to try that, make a PST and copy your messages to it first.

Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:05 PM