Failure Trying to Connect... Outlook 2003 to Exchange 2003 with Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my Windows XP desktop to Vista and now I cannot connect Outlook 2003 to Microsoft Exchange 2003.  Outlook show Trying to Connect... for some period of time and then Disconnected.  I spent several hours with Microsoft Tech Support and they were unable to help me and told that the problem is probably with Exchange and that I would need to pay several hundred dollars per hour to talk to their Exchange support people.

I don't have access to my provider's Exchange server, but I know that the security certificate is unsigned and I think this might be the issue.  Does anyone know how to solve this issue?  The owner of the Exchange server is not willing to pay for a signed certificate at this point.

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:19 AM

Answers

• I finally was able to get another company to help me get help from a Microsoft Tech Support person.  The problem is that on Windows Vista, you have to specify the store for the certificate.  Therefore, you have to explicitly specify the Certificate Store as Trusted Root Certification Authorities during the installation of the certificate, otherwise it gets installed to the wrong place.

If somebody from Microsoft reads this, I want to say I don't understand why your programmers don't believe in error messages?  Why does Outlook simply fail to connect and leave the user with no information as to what the problem is?  How about displaying an error message that explains that the security certificate failed?  Thank you.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 6:12 AM

All replies

• I started having the same problem today. I have had Vista installed on my laptop for approximately 1 month with no trouble. No changes to our Exchange Server. Was this situation ever resolved?
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Although the original post still has not been resolved, I found that I had the same issue with Windows XP and Outlook this week.  The XP problem (Outlook was not able to connect) was resolved by renewing a 2 year certificate for the Exchange server.  On my Windows Vista machine, however, I am still unable to connect.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:17 PM
  • I finally was able to get another company to help me get help from a Microsoft Tech Support person.  The problem is that on Windows Vista, you have to specify the store for the certificate.  Therefore, you have to explicitly specify the Certificate Store as Trusted Root Certification Authorities during the installation of the certificate, otherwise it gets installed to the wrong place.

If somebody from Microsoft reads this, I want to say I don't understand why your programmers don't believe in error messages?  Why does Outlook simply fail to connect and leave the user with no information as to what the problem is?  How about displaying an error message that explains that the security certificate failed?  Thank you.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 6:12 AM
  • what steps were taken to resolve the issue?

where did the tech support person go to modify the certificate?

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:32 PM