Prepare Skype for Business Enterprise for Planned Hardware Firewall Outage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. In a couple of months I will be replacing my company's core firewalls/routers at our datacenter location. This pair of firewalls is currently what handles intersubnet routing, NATing, and general communication with the internet. Currently, our core switches are not configured to handle the routing (this is being addressed but not for a little while) so since Skype is on a different VLAN than AD, SQL, and Edge services, there is going to be an abrupt halt to all communication between my Skype Front End Enterprise servers and the previously mentioned services.

Is there any harm in just yanking the firewalls out and letting everything go dark for a bit, or is it strongly recommended that shut down my pool while I do the cutover? That being said, i can see how to start a pool simply by googling it, if necessary how would I go about properly shutting down or suspending my pool for the upgrade?

Thanks!

Monday, October 17, 2016 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Brolide, 

Since Network disconnect is defenitely going to stop  the service availability and downtime, i would say you can go and stop the services on these servers gracefull and then start them one by one after finishing the network maintenance 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Marked as answer by Brolide Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Brolide,

Welcome to our forum.

As I am concerned, we could not shut down current pool. As you said, SFB is in different VLAN than AD and SQL, so please contact network administrator to make sure there are no network communicate issue between SFB and AD, SQL, Edge, include Ping and DNS resolve.

For urgent, we could failover the current pool to the second pool:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204697.aspx

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know and we will pleasure to help you. If the above suggestions are helpful to you, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:26 AM
  • Hey Jim:

Thanks for the speedy answer. To clarify, my concern was that when I pull the firewall, it is going to completely halt Skype FE communication with AD, SQL, and Edge services. I currently double as my company's network administrator and messaging engineer so it is my job to handle all of this correctly.

I am concerned that if it is in the middle of a replication event with SQL, Edge, or AD, it could cause some sort of unforeseen issue when I cut the routers/firewalls. Additionally, I do not have a second pool to fail over to, we have one enterprise pool in our only data center location (we're at least two years off from a second data center and redundant pools unfortunately).

Please advise. Thank you!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Hi Brolide, 

Since Network disconnect is defenitely going to stop  the service availability and downtime, i would say you can go and stop the services on these servers gracefull and then start them one by one after finishing the network maintenance 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Marked as answer by Brolide Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:26 PM