Licensing for a testing lab RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I spent a bit of time wondering where to post this but I hope this is the right place.

I am putting together a plan to build a full lab test. We will be testing application configuration that run on several OS, including Windows servers.

We will virtualise the all environment and this will probably consist of something around 30 different servers.

I do not know what to do with licensing. I found similar post  where I imagine my next step would be to contact the licensing folks, but does anyone knows the best way to get in contact with them?

Thank you

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi

no. these will never be production machine. Their only for testing and troubleshooting purposes.

They will be only confined to the closed lab environment.

When looking at "Per Processor" licensing model one reads Note: Windows Server licensed under the Per Processor model requires CALs.

Now, I dont know if this is the case for physical servers only or if the hardware is not relevant.

What about MSDN?

• Marked as answer by Lrbkm Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are these lab servers going to become production servers?

You could buy a processor license for the host and all VM's will be covered by that license.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:32 PM
  • Hi

no. these will never be production machine. Their only for testing and troubleshooting purposes.

They will be only confined to the closed lab environment.

When looking at "Per Processor" licensing model one reads Note: Windows Server licensed under the Per Processor model requires CALs.

Now, I dont know if this is the case for physical servers only or if the hardware is not relevant.

What about MSDN?

• Marked as answer by Lrbkm Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:54 PM