Direct Collection Migration limit of 999 RRS feed

• Question

• We just discovered that there appears to be a limit of 999 or 1000 direct collection entries when migrating from SCCM 2007 to 2012. Has anyone come up with a way to move the limitation up?

My alternative is to write a script to import the entries to the collection in SCCM 2012.

Bob

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:07 PM

Answers

• After some more experimentation we have identified a few things.  First, the resource IDs don't match, however the collection memberships do transfer, provided there are less than a 1000 entries. It looks like we will have to write a script to move the dozen or so entries that exceed 1000.  I'm not sure why Microsoft put the limit in place in the first place.

Bob

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, February 24, 2014 10:28 AM
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:50 PM

All replies

• Direct membership is useless anyway because it is based on resource ID which will be reset on all of your clients after you reinstall them to move them to the new hierarchy.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:44 PM
  • Direct membership is useless anyway because it is based on resource ID which will be reset on all of your clients after you reinstall them to move them to the new hierarchy.

Agreed with Jason.  We use for, 99% of our memberships, a hostname-based membership.  Here's the WQL:

select *  from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.NetbiosName in ("Hostname1","Hostname2","HostnameN")

You can do similar things for Users and AD groups as well. Might keep that in mind since SCCM 2012 offers a great deal more of user-based functionality than 2007.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Arg, that's going to be ugly, there are hundreds of collections with direct membership that have to be migrated.

I was under the impression that when you upgraded the agent from 2007 to 2012 it preserved the resource identifiers.  What you are telling me is that's not the case.

Bob

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:43 PM
  • The ResourceID is not known by the client itself -- it's a server side only identifier of the resource and so there's no way to preserve that.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:47 PM
  • After some more experimentation we have identified a few things.  First, the resource IDs don't match, however the collection memberships do transfer, provided there are less than a 1000 entries. It looks like we will have to write a script to move the dozen or so entries that exceed 1000.  I'm not sure why Microsoft put the limit in place in the first place.

Bob

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, February 24, 2014 10:28 AM
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:50 PM