none
Create new article - problem RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this has been asked before.

I tried to create a new article named 'SQL Server 2016', however, when click the Save button I get an error that says an article by that name already exists. Yet, when I try and search for such an article name, I can't find one. The closest thing I can find is 'SQL Server 2016: What's New'.

What is the best way to search article titles before I attempt to create a duplicate article title that already exists?

Thanks,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:04 PM

Answers

• Very reasonable. I notice the "SQL Server 2016: What's New" Wiki is a "Work in progress". Could that article be linked in the "versions" article? And maybe it could be fleshed out with more information? Otherwise, I know of no workaround except selecting another title.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Marked as answer by philfactor Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:39 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find Wikis by title. I also could not find an article with that title. I also looked at articles with that tag (there are 5). However, it is also possible an article had that title and got renamed or deleted. I'm not sure, but that might make the title unavailable.

You need to select another title. A good choice could be "SQL Server 2016:", followed by something that describes what the article adds to the others that address this topic. That is a common practice, to start with the technology, followed by a colon, followed by a more specific topic. For example, "SQL Server 2016: What's New".

This url shows the results of the search on the tag "SQL Server 2016":

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/tags/sql+server+2016/default.aspx

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Thanks, Richard. I was just trying to follow the convention (if it is that) started by Naomi when she created a similar article for previous version of SQL Server:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19877.sql-server-2014.aspx

This appears to be just a 'stub' article that is referenced from the SQL Server versions matrix here:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/783.sql-server-versions.aspx

As it stands now, the url in that matrix for 'SQL Server 2016' points to a non-existent page. That's mainly what I was trying to fix by either linking to an existing article by that name or creating a new one if it didn't exist.

Thanks,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Very reasonable. I notice the "SQL Server 2016: What's New" Wiki is a "Work in progress". Could that article be linked in the "versions" article? And maybe it could be fleshed out with more information? Otherwise, I know of no workaround except selecting another title.

• Marked as answer by philfactor Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:39 AM