Windows XP Dual Boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have installed a second SATA hard drive for a second installation of Windows XP as i want a seperate installation for creating music etc.  I re-installed XP again on the original hard drive and had no problems, however when i started the install on the new hard disk, at the start of the reformat stage a warning came up stating;

"Boot sector Write!! VIRUS: Continue? (Y\N)".  I opted to continue by pressing Y because this did not occur during the re-install on the original hard disk.  Also the second hard disk is brand new and has never been used, and the Windows XP disk is an genuine Microsoft disk.  Is this anything to worry about?  If it is something to worry about what should I do?  Thanks in advance.

Alanjo

Saturday, June 2, 2012 4:32 PM

All replies

• The only way to determine if is is something you should about or not is to run a deep scan all you hard drive.

No one without access to your computer can determine whether it is something to worry about or not.

You can download a free version of Malwarebytes to scan your system @ http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, June 2, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Is your “new” disk brand new in shrink wrapped box, or brand new OEM disk similar to what you can get from online retailers?

It has been reported in the past that brand new, shrink wrapped drives have been shipped with boot sector viruses.  You may be victim to that.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 11:38 PM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for help so far guys.

The new disk I bought was one from an online retailer and it was supplied in the anti-static type plastic, which was in bubble wrap and inside a plain brown box that seemed to be the manufacturers box.

When I installed the new drive and started the set up process the new drive was unpartitioned and "appeared" to be brand new.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Alanjo

Sunday, June 3, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for help so far guys.

The new disk I bought was one from an online retailer and it was supplied in the anti-static type plastic, which was in bubble wrap and inside a plain brown box that seemed to be the manufacturers box.

When I installed the new drive and started the set up process the new drive was unpartitioned and "appeared" to be brand new.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Alanjo

I still suggest the samething I suggest before - Do a deep scan on the hard drive to check for any malware!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, June 3, 2012 3:12 PM