none
Migrating PS 2007 Data Analysis views to 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to migrate Data Analysis views created in Project Server 2007 to 2010?

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hi vee2010,

Project Server 2010 no longer uses Office Web Components.
    The main reporting tool for OLAP in Project Server 2010 is Excel. In addition, the OLAP structure in EPM 2010 has slightly changed for some cubes.

So you will have to recreate all OLAP reports manually in Excel (or another reporting tool that you plan to use). But at this time, no migration tool for OLAP views is available and I doubt if it ever will be.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Marked as answer by vee2010 Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:26 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:20 AM
  • I figured a round-about way. It will work only if you have your PS 2007 environment still available.

Run your Data Analysis view in PS2007, export it to Excel. In Excel, go to the Data Connection Properties and change the Connection String to point to your PS 2010 database. Refresh and check that the file is showing the correct data from your PS 2010 instance. Then you can use the "Export Connection File" option in the Data Connection Properties tab to export the ODC definition and store it.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:20 PM
  • This workaround only works for grid type Data Analysis views and is what I prescribed in the Upgrade session at Project Conference.  Maybe Jan/Christophe can get this aspect raised in visibility on the Migration Center web site.

The downside is that you can't migrate graph only Data Analysis views.  The Office Web Component Object Model has no support for exporting graphs.  In that case, I would highly recommend rebuilding the report. 

Thanks!

Treb Gatte

http://reportmode.com  

Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:08 PM

All replies

• Hello vee210

I don't know any standard tools that Microsoft has provided.

You might be able to use the 2007 SDK utiity Playbook that extracts key server configuration and puts it into an XML fille format to mirgrate to another project server 2007. 

What I am thinking, is that recently the 2010 Playbook has been released and it may be able to read in the 2007 XML and push into PS 2010.  

Just a guess.  If it works for you, please post your results.

CHeers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:51 AM
  • Hi vee2010,

Project Server 2010 no longer uses Office Web Components.
    The main reporting tool for OLAP in Project Server 2010 is Excel. In addition, the OLAP structure in EPM 2010 has slightly changed for some cubes.

So you will have to recreate all OLAP reports manually in Excel (or another reporting tool that you plan to use). But at this time, no migration tool for OLAP views is available and I doubt if it ever will be.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:20 AM
  • I figured a round-about way. It will work only if you have your PS 2007 environment still available.

Run your Data Analysis view in PS2007, export it to Excel. In Excel, go to the Data Connection Properties and change the Connection String to point to your PS 2010 database. Refresh and check that the file is showing the correct data from your PS 2010 instance. Then you can use the "Export Connection File" option in the Data Connection Properties tab to export the ODC definition and store it.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:20 PM
  • This workaround only works for grid type Data Analysis views and is what I prescribed in the Upgrade session at Project Conference.  Maybe Jan/Christophe can get this aspect raised in visibility on the Migration Center web site.

The downside is that you can't migrate graph only Data Analysis views.  The Office Web Component Object Model has no support for exporting graphs.  In that case, I would highly recommend rebuilding the report. 

Thanks!

Treb Gatte

http://reportmode.com  

Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Thank you for your responses. I did see a reference to "manual migration" in the Reporting Deep Dive session but couldn't find any further information anywhere. I missed reviewing the Upgrade session!

Yes, as Treb mentioned the limitation to this work-around is you can migrate only grid type views.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:26 PM