none
Reporting (WSS Sync) failed or what is forbidden to do with the project workspace? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I would like to understand why errors like  "Reporting (WSS Sync) failed" appears on my farm. And what i should do in future to prevent this errors.

Some days ago i was informed about the next such error from our user. This error contained next information in queue:

<!-- [if gte mso 10]> <mce:style>

General

• Reporting Wss list sync failed:
      • ReportingWssSyncListFailed (24018) - 1100. Details: id='24018' name='ReportingWssSyncListFailed' uid='dad18edf-bbd7-48d9-bb38-5d8074bc8549' SPListType='131594eb-c4d1-4bf5-8378-0d0fc5debd94' Error='1100'.
    • Reporting transfer WSS links failed.:
      • ReportingWssTransferLinksFailed (24019) - Mismatched transaction.. Details: id='24019' name='ReportingWssTransferLinksFailed' uid='09216362-48bf-49fe-b01f-2341e7307e1d' Error='Mismatched transaction.'.
    • Reporting message processor failed:
      • ReportingWSSSyncMessageFailed (24016) - RDS failed while trying to sync one or more SP lists. The RDS queue message will be retried.. Details: id='24016' name='ReportingWSSSyncMessageFailed' uid='346ea61a-0ce1-4dc1-a093-892d657b4060' QueueMessageBody='ProjectUID='131594eb-c4d1-4bf5-8378-0d0fc5debd94'. ForceFullSync='False'. SynchronizationType='Issues'' Error='RDS failed while trying to sync one or more SP lists. The RDS queue message will be retried.'.
    • Reporting ProjectWorkspaceInternalHRef field sync failed:
      • ReportingWssSyncHRefFailed (24021) - Mismatched transaction.. Details: id='24021' name='ReportingWssSyncHRefFailed' uid='428541db-01bc-4e97-8af0-13b1aad6cdd4' Error='Mismatched transaction.'.
    • Queue:

GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - ReportingWSSSync.WSSSyncMessageEx . Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='9393f04c-5d24-42fd-ad53-554f75cb0679' JobUID='a5bf6a09-91b3-4d85-a4e8-0d92659c672c' ComputerName='ServerName' GroupType='ReportingWSSSync'

So i can see 5 types of errors. All of them except last related to Reporting Data Service (RDS):

Error ID: 24018 -   Reporting Wss list sync failed
         Error ID: 24019
    -  Reporting transfer WSS links failed
         Error ID: 24016
    -  ReportingWSSSyncMessageFailed
         Error ID: 24021
    -  ReportingWssSyncHRefFailed

From information of this error i find related project - His guid represented as SPListType='131594eb-c4d1-4bf5-8378-0d0fc5debd94' and ProjectUID='131594eb-c4d1-4bf5-8378-0d0fc5debd94'.  Name of list - Error='1100' and SynchronizationType='Issues' called to Issue project list on workspace that related to this project.

I remember that i could do 3 changes to this Issue list:

1. I deleted field from Issue list of this project workspace named "Links" with type "Project link".

2. Changed standard field named "Assigned to" by enabled "Allow multiple selections" feature.

3. Added custom fields with named "Discussion" and changed him by enabled "Append changes to existing text" for save history.

So after i temporary disabled "Allow multiple selections" feature i increased error message from 5 errors to 2:

And this errors are gone.

Error ID: 24019 -  Reporting transfer WSS links failed
         Error ID: 24016
    -  ReportingWSSSyncMessageFailed

But when i tried to add "Link" field to Issue list i do not find him from list of existing site or site collection fields. Another reason why i deleted this field before - that this field was call unknown error when member open issue that has been assigned to him.

So i need help.

1. What should i do to finally close this issue?

2. What is forbidden to do with standard items and lists (what items or list are called as standards?) of project workspaces?

3. If some changes of standard lists are forbidden what users should do for get all SharePoint functionality on their Project sites(for example, multiple value of Assign To field)? 

Thanks in advance for any detailed answer for my question.

Alexey
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:57 PM

Answers

• SP List ID   SP List Name

1100            Issues

1101            Risks

1104            Deliverables

1. I deleted field from Issue list of this project workspace named "Links" with type "Project link".

2. Changed standard field named "Assigned to" by enabled "Allow multiple selections" feature.

The above two changes are strictly not entertained. Once it is deleted, even though you recreate list "Issues" the GUIDs will be different.

The only solution is, recreate the project workspace.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:38 PM
  • 1. What should i do to finally close this issue?
    # Take a backup of site content, if there isn't much you can do it manually else do it using stsadm command line or any method you prefer >> disassociate the workspace from Project, delete the site, recreate using default template or any custom template if using

2. What is forbidden to do with standard items and lists (what items or list are called as standards?) of project workspaces?
    #. Deleting OR Modifying default columns and their properties, though values can be modified but columns can neither be deleted nor modified

3. If some changes of standard lists are forbidden what users should do for get all SharePoint functionality on their Project sites(for example, multiple value of Assign To field)?
    #. Depends how and for what purpose you want to use it, there could be workaround available for the same, please explain the scenario and we could suggest

Hope this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by Alexey Koval Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:51 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Hi Alexey,

That blog post is providing an overview of how you can set up a your risk and issue content types centrally, what that means if that for any columns you add to the risk, issue or deliverable content types, you can manage those once as a content type which will bubble down to the subsites. The advantage of this is if you have added a choice field, if you need to change the values in the future, the content type will take care of that, rather than you needing to update every instance of that list manually.

Additionally, I would steer away from modifying any of the out of the box fields, instead choosing to hide those items via the content type and creating your own columns.

hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hi Alexey,

Here are few pointers to quickly resolve it.

1. Ensure the Content Approval is turned off in the Risk/Issues/ Deliverables fields ofthe Project Site
    2. Also, ensure that none of the core Risk/Issues/Deliverable fields are modified
    3. The owners/Assigned to field in the Risk/Issue should be defaulting to All Users (Name with PResence)
    4. Once these settings are set to their actual state; Try creating a Risk Item/Issue Item
    5. It should work flawlessly.

I would recommend you make the changes (once after these settings and testing goes well) on the Site Template and re-publish the Site Template andmake them Default in Project Site Provisioning area.

Kindly let me know

Best Regards,

Gokul Rajan
    • Proposed as answer by GokulRajan Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexey Koval Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:52 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:51 PM

All replies

• SP List ID   SP List Name

1100            Issues

1101            Risks

1104            Deliverables

The above two changes are strictly not entertained. Once it is deleted, even though you recreate list "Issues" the GUIDs will be different.

The only solution is, recreate the project workspace.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:38 PM
  • 1. What should i do to finally close this issue?
    # Take a backup of site content, if there isn't much you can do it manually else do it using stsadm command line or any method you prefer >> disassociate the workspace from Project, delete the site, recreate using default template or any custom template if using

#. Deleting OR Modifying default columns and their properties, though values can be modified but columns can neither be deleted nor modified

#. Depends how and for what purpose you want to use it, there could be workaround available for the same, please explain the scenario and we could suggest

Hope this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Sriram, Sunil Kumar,

1. Thank you. Now i fully understand that i should do for resolve this issue and another similar with this errors issues. 

2. Correct my answer if i understand you not correctly:

Users or administrator of project workspaces (sites) should not deleting or modifying default columns and their properties of three default, related to projects lists - Issues, Risks and Deliverables.

But users or administrator can modify values contained in this default columns. For first example, default Issue list contain Category field with default values

(1) Category1
    (2) Category2
    (3) Category3

so users of admin can change this values to some another values.

And second example, as users cannot modify default columns, they can as first step hide this columns from their views and as second step - add new fields by creating them with any field type and then modify them as they want.

Am I right understand you guys?

Alexey
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

Great blog post. Thank you for this link. But i think i do not fully understand what final goal of this method or scenario?  As i wrote in my answer for Sriram and Sunil Kumar above, if we can hide default fields (that we could not modify except values) and add new fields to default lists (Issues, Risks or Deliverables) that we can modify, why we need to create another content type to get any SharePoint functionality related to any standard SharePoint fields?

I think if we add new fields into default lists - we modified them default content type of this lists. So this is forbidden too?

And if so? If i used method that described on blog post - how does this impact the ties from the standard issues and risks list to the My Issues and My Risks views in PWA? Would this break the links?

Alexey
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hi Alexey,

That blog post is providing an overview of how you can set up a your risk and issue content types centrally, what that means if that for any columns you add to the risk, issue or deliverable content types, you can manage those once as a content type which will bubble down to the subsites. The advantage of this is if you have added a choice field, if you need to change the values in the future, the content type will take care of that, rather than you needing to update every instance of that list manually.

Additionally, I would steer away from modifying any of the out of the box fields, instead choosing to hide those items via the content type and creating your own columns.

hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your reply. I think i understand now.

Summarizing up that described above -

Do not change or delete out of the box (default) fields (columns) on Issues, Risks and Deliverables lists. Do not create new own columns.

This all seems like - "do not change default content types that will used in default lists of Project workspace".

So as i understand correctly and why this trick, described on blog post, worked - default project workspaces lists (Issues, Risks and Deliverables) can contain another custom content type, but must be added manually by Project Server administrator and after that template must be recreated. And in this case default Project lists despite the fact that they contained more than one content type was successfully synchronized with related projects trough Reporting Data Service (RDS) without any errors. Is not it ?

Alexey
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Please, answer on my question to finally close this topic for me.

Do I understand correctly, that everything other than recommended actions and their associated with Reporting Data Service (RDS) errors related are due to the fact that the modified hidden content type of default lists Issues, Risks and Deliverables?

Thank you in advance for the attention and patience to my persistent questions .

Alexey
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Hi Alexey,

1. Ensure the Content Approval is turned off in the Risk/Issues/ Deliverables fields ofthe Project Site
    2. Also, ensure that none of the core Risk/Issues/Deliverable fields are modified
    3. The owners/Assigned to field in the Risk/Issue should be defaulting to All Users (Name with PResence)
    4. Once these settings are set to their actual state; Try creating a Risk Item/Issue Item

I would recommend you make the changes (once after these settings and testing goes well) on the Site Template and re-publish the Site Template andmake them Default in Project Site Provisioning area.

Kindly let me know

Best Regards,

Gokul Rajan

Gokul Rajan
  • Hi Alexey,

Kindly let me know

Best Regards,

Gokul Rajan
    • Proposed as answer by GokulRajan Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexey Koval Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:52 AM

• hi Gokul,

I am unable to resolve this issue even after disabling/activating "Team Collaboration Lists" feature. Kindly suggest what else can be done to resolve it.

Monday, January 12, 2015 11:32 AM