How can I do a "clean" install of WSS 3.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community

My WSS 3.0 installation doesn't seem to be working anymore.

It started after I deleted my user account in Active Directory
    and created the user account all over again.

To fix it I uninstalled WSS 3.0 but now no matter how many times
    I reinstall I have problems with the web applications.

By that I mean whenever I create a web application it gives me
    80 for the port number.  Prior to that it would give me a seemingly
    random default port number.

When I try to use the port number 80 for the web application I
    get the message:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

So I type netstat -ano or -an and try to use a port that has a state of
    "Listening" but after the web application and site are created and I type in
    a url in the format: "servername:port/sites/sitename".  I get the message:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

It appears you are connected to the Internet, but you might want to try to reconnect to the Internet. 

Retype the address. 

Go back to the previous page.

Most likely causes:
    •You are not connected to the Internet.
    •The website is encountering problems.
    •There might be a typing error in the address.

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

•Internet connectivity has been lost.
    •The website is temporarily unavailable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    •If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Any username or password I try to create or sign in with gives me the same error message.

Also the first time I installed I would get a "Search Database" automatically, now I have
    to wait until WSS 3.0 installs and then "start" the search database.

I think I need to do a "clean" uninstall and reinstall of WSS 3.0 but I don't seem to be
    able to do that.

How can I do a "Clean" reinstall of WSS 3.0?

Thank you
        Shabeaut

Friday, January 13, 2012 11:10 PM

Answers

• Maybe there are different ways of cleaning registry keys but for my point of view your environment will not be 100% functional. Be aware that are a lot of connections between registry key and databases.

A clean installation is the reinstallation of your operation system and after that a fresh WSS 3.0 installation.

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint| SharePoint Performance blog
    • Marked as answer by Shabeaut Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:43 PM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Reinstalling t(he operating system will give you the cleanest (with the exception of doing an FDisk before even that) installation of WSS 3.0 you can get.

It also is guaranteed clean. If you otherwise want to back out of a WSS 3.0 installation and re-install it you need to be sure you have removed everything you need to first. One tip is to make sure you in the OS also make sure you remove (among many other things) the IIS installation (and re-boot) to try to first get the OS as clean as possible.

But re-installing the OS as suggested by Bogdan is a quick way of making quite sure even the OS platform pre-WSS 3.0 installation is also totally clean. It also doesn't take much time. Messing with the registry probably takes longer (certainly in terms of *your* working time) and is not a 100% sure way of ending up with something clean prior to WSS 3.0 installation either.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shabeaut Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:40 PM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:51 PM

All replies

• If you want a clean installation, reinstall the operating system and after that use the WSS 3.0 installation guide from this article Installation Guide for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107358)

Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Hello Bogdan Coamesu

I have been reinstalling WSS 3.0, and that is why I was asking is there a way
    to do a "clean" reinstall of WSS 3.0, when you say the operating system I
    it sounds like you are saying reinstall Windows 2003 Server.  If I did that I would
    also have to reinstall all other software and applications on the server too. 

In fact I had reinstalled WSS 3.0 in the past, it is just that when I reinstalled this
    last time(s) it is not functioning the same as I did in the past when I reinstalled.

I had hoped there was something in the registry that I could delete that would
    tell WSS 3.0 to do a "clean" install.

I thought the problem might be because I recently applied service pack 3.

If there is anything in the registry that I can clean to avoid reinstalling all software
    I would like to know.  I know I saw something about an HKLM key but the registry
    doesn't have that.  The registry has HKEY_  hives. 

I also saw something call MSIZap.exe which is supposed help do a "clean" install but
    but that didn't seem to apply to servers.

Any ideas?

Thank you
        Shabeaut

Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Reinstalling t(he operating system will give you the cleanest (with the exception of doing an FDisk before even that) installation of WSS 3.0 you can get.

It also is guaranteed clean. If you otherwise want to back out of a WSS 3.0 installation and re-install it you need to be sure you have removed everything you need to first. One tip is to make sure you in the OS also make sure you remove (among many other things) the IIS installation (and re-boot) to try to first get the OS as clean as possible.

But re-installing the OS as suggested by Bogdan is a quick way of making quite sure even the OS platform pre-WSS 3.0 installation is also totally clean. It also doesn't take much time. Messing with the registry probably takes longer (certainly in terms of *your* working time) and is not a 100% sure way of ending up with something clean prior to WSS 3.0 installation either.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shabeaut Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:40 PM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Maybe there are different ways of cleaning registry keys but for my point of view your environment will not be 100% functional. Be aware that are a lot of connections between registry key and databases.

A clean installation is the reinstallation of your operation system and after that a fresh WSS 3.0 installation.

• Marked as answer by Shabeaut Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:43 PM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Hello Bogdan Coamesu

I realize that re-installing is the best way to get a clean installation.

It is just that re-installing the O/S always means losing something(s) that you
    worked hard to get.

I am going to re-install.

Thank you
        Shabeaut

Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:41 PM