none
Turn off hibernation RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to disable hibernation, so I placed this command in my Unattend.xml, it's not working, any ideas?

cmd /c powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:50 AM

Answers

• Use the task sequence to accomplish that, simply add a "Run command line" task, for example:

You could also set the power condition in the image before capturing it. Another alternative (if you don't want to modify the default schemes) is to create your own power scheme and then export it. You can then import and set it in your task sequence with a couple run commands or create a script.

For reference - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28v=WS.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:39 PM added link
    • Proposed as answer by Ty GlanderModerator Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by edgar_davids Monday, May 11, 2015 10:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:37 PM

All replies

• Edgar,

If you are working with MDT, I highly recommend not to alter the Unattended.xml in any circumstances. The great thing about MDT is that it will merge the initial unattend.xml with a newly created xml file, based on all the settings in your deployment which are specified in customsettings.ini or other variables stored somewhere.

This command is something that you can perfectly execute post-OS-installation, with a "Run Command Line" step in your task sequence, just after the "State Restore" step.

There are custom actions such as application installation, registry tweaks, file copies, scripts etc. That belong in your task sequence "State Restore" phase.

Cheers! Rens

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Use the task sequence to accomplish that, simply add a "Run command line" task, for example:

You could also set the power condition in the image before capturing it. Another alternative (if you don't want to modify the default schemes) is to create your own power scheme and then export it. You can then import and set it in your task sequence with a couple run commands or create a script.

For reference - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28v=WS.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:39 PM added link
    • Proposed as answer by Ty GlanderModerator Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by edgar_davids Monday, May 11, 2015 10:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Thanks Dan, worked a charm.
    Monday, May 11, 2015 4:08 AM
  • Edgar,

If you are working with MDT, I highly recommend not to alter the Unattended.xml in any circumstances.

Why is this the case? I use the Unattend.xml file to apply all sorts of OS configs?
    Monday, May 11, 2015 4:09 AM
  • Hello,

I would not say that it is "wrong" to configure your settings in Unattend.xml, but compared to other input methods, such as CustomSettings.ini and variables set directly in the Task Sequence. For this reason, it might be difficult to troubleshoot.

Here is a thread where it has been discussed previously: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d7349d63-adec-4f6c-b70d-2d1f23de6299/mdt-task-sequence-unattendxml-ignores-locale-in-customsettingsini?forum=w8itproinstall

David Gustafsson

Monday, May 11, 2015 12:22 PM

No problem, please mark it as answered.

Editing your unattend isn't a terrible thing to do. But I would caution that if you do, make sure you document anything you do to it so you don't forget or lose track. It also makes it harder to replicate if you create several task sequences that do the same thing. The more you accomplish in the task sequence, the easier it is to see and replicate.

Monday, May 11, 2015 2:00 PM

No problem, please mark it as answered.

Editing your unattend isn't a terrible thing to do. But I would caution that if you do, make sure you document anything you do to it so you don't forget or lose track. It also makes it harder to replicate if you create several task sequences that do the same thing. The more you accomplish in the task sequence, the easier it is to see and replicate.

I document all my changes, no matter how small.
    Monday, May 11, 2015 10:37 PM